Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom dropping connection

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I'm getting problems with Eircom (who isnt? ;)) in the dublin 9 area.

I'm getting my problem with both the wireless setup & connected directly to the router (Netopia 2247).

Whats happening is: I cannot connect to any external pages (connecting to my router is fine), and the only resolution is to reboot the router itself.
    When I run the Diagnostics utility on the router, the final step fails.

To note - resetting the router does seem to resolve the issue - but only temporarily - and obviously is a pain in the a$$ - defeats wireless if you've got to keep walking over to your router every hour.

What I'm wondering is - is this a problem with Eircom's service itself, or with the router? Is anyone else getting this problem?

Cheers,
    Chris

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Usual reason for drop outs is poor snr so line stats essential please.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Hi all,
    I'm getting problems with Eircom (who isnt? ;)) in the dublin 9 area.

I'm getting my problem with both the wireless setup & connected directly to the router (Netopia 2247).

Whats happening is: I cannot connect to any external pages (connecting to my router is fine), and the only resolution is to reboot the router itself.
    When I run the Diagnostics utility on the router, the final step fails.

To note - resetting the router does seem to resolve the issue - but only temporarily - and obviously is a pain in the a$$ - defeats wireless if you've got to keep walking over to your router every hour.

What I'm wondering is - is this a problem with Eircom's service itself, or with the router? Is anyone else getting this problem?

Cheers,
    Chris

I'm getting something similar.

The wireless router doesn't work very well, the connection keeps dropping every hour and the message I get is "PPPoE Authenticication Fail". Even though it's the same settings as suggested by eircom.

However, when I just have the normal wired router, everything works like a charm.

Niall09 wrote: »
    I'm getting something similar.

The wireless router doesn't work very well, the connection keeps dropping every hour and the message I get is "PPPoE Authenticication Fail". Even though it's the same settings as suggested by eircom.

However, when I just have the normal wired router, everything works like a charm.

If you wired connection works fine then it is nothing to do with your isp.
    Your problem is local - any wireless gizmos in the house? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chrishall_ie

dub45 wrote: »
    Usual reason for drop outs is poor snr so line stats essential please.

What details are you looking for? I'll provide anything I can...

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.90 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 29.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 2 0

• Advertisement

Your attenuation is fine and your snr should be ok although snr is not fixed and can vary throughout the day - if it goes below 10 thats not good.

Do you have any other stuff connected to the phone line? What's your internal wiring like?

Phone line isnt used for anything other than the internet, as regards the wiring - I think its ok (but I'm renting so cant say for sure).

I've seen a few people complain about having to reset their Eircom routers here - would it be simpler to go get myself another router - not the freebie provided by Eircom - or might this be an actual service issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

What version of firmware are you running on the router. Some of the older versions lock up and have to be reset to get line back.

Get the stats, when you encounter a lockup, also is the DSL light constatn during lockups

J

Have you changed your dns to opendns? Just in case:)

Firmware is up-to-date (7.8.2r2)

And nope, I havent changed to OpenDNS :)

I'll get back to you on the DSL during lock-ups...

• Advertisement
Advertisement