Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash (CS4) is wrecking my head!

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have constructed a Flash swf. The crux of my problem is that while everything in the workspace is fine - picture perfect - when it is exported or previewed as a swf, the images are all jagged as if they were e.g. resized in Paint.

The imported images are bmp's, .psd's and .jpg's - it doesn't matter which, they are all fine on the canvas.

HOWEVER, WHEN EXPORTED AS A SWF, the resized psd's come out grainy, and the rotated jpegs and bmp's also come out jagged.

Am I missing something? Export settings, even for jpeg quality (and to hell with the 'Compress Movie' function) is set to 100%. This is vexing me, as I don't recall having this problem in the old MX2004 version...

For argument's sake, it is on the top of www.myspace.com/waynebrennan

POSSIBLE SOLUTION, you might say, is to resize the psd's (and even save in a different format) in Photoshop and place them in Flash that way, rather than import into Flash and resize there. Did that - no joy.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Check the publish settings, and look at the jpeg quality settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

p wrote: »
    Check the publish settings, and look at the jpeg quality settings.

All are at default or, where applicable, set to maximum (jpeg compression, etc.)

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Check your stage size versus your html embed code, don't let the browser resize your swf.
    And possibly rethink other scaling issues if you're embedding one swf into another.

Check your stage size versus your html embed code, don't let the browser resize your swf.
    And possibly rethink other scaling issues if you're embedding one swf into another.

The sizes match, however, the same result happens when previewed on my local machine through Flash Player anyway.
    The embedded swf is only a YouTube video, and that is fine. It's the rest that is bugging the bejaysus out of me...

Seanie.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It looks like the embedded youtube video hasn't been given enough space – the controls look like they weren't designed to be scaled down this small.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    It looks like the embedded youtube video hasn't been given enough space – the controls look like they weren't designed to be scaled down this small.

The YouTube video itself is scaled, and is only a feature floated when seen against the background Flash animation. I have just tried this: deleteing the layer with the YouTube parameters from the .fla file, and on previewing on my machine, it still has the same crappy resolution of the images, no change.

Seanie.

post up 2 screen shots of the good & the bad.

post up 2 screen shots of the good & the bad.

Sorry to be blunt, but there's only the one screenshot i.e. it's no different with or without the YouTube layer (i.e. all instances of that movie removed from the swf). :o

Seanie.

I meant a screenshot of it looking fine in the IDE and wrong when previewed.

I'll get that shortly now...

• Advertisement

Here are the images (I hope it's ok to have them inserted like this):

Flash CS4 Screenshot:
    WB-flash-fla.jpg

Exported swf screenshot:
    WB-exported-swf.jpg

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

I believe I know how to fix that.

In the library right click on any images you are using and open Properties.

There you can set "Allow Smoothing" and change the image from JPEG to Lossless (PNG).

You can mess around with both settings to get the desired results, however setting the images as Lossless will increase the size of the SWF file.

Thanks RabidDog. However, while your suggestion sounds plausible (I will try it and see), it doesn't explain why I bring a lossless format into Flash such as bmp or psd, and on exporting-only it appears the way it does.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Could it have something to do with importing bitmaps into Flash, which uses vectors?

Just a guess, I haven't used CS4 so it could deal with images differently.

Try checking if your images are placed on round co-ordinates:

e.g. if you've a bitmap, or a containing movieclip, make sure that the position is x: 15, y:35 rather than a fraction like x: 14.9, y: 35.3.

Advertisement