Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Had my first driving lesson today....i drove home!

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone - well as you can see from the title i drove home! I still can't believe it! The instructor is really good but i have one question - when i'm stopping he tells me to brake lightly and then put my foot on the clutch and leave foot off the brake - i always thought that you just had to brake and keep your foot on the brake ?? Can someone clarify this for me? Sorry if this sounds stupid but i am a complete beginner more or less!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Not sure if I fully get what you are saying but should always have brake on when stopped, either handbrake or foot pedal.
    So maybe he means to put handbrake on and take foot of pedal which is fine, as still have a brake applied.

With clutch kinda depends how long you are to be stopped for, if for a while I'd pop into neutral and take of clutch. But if you know is only for a short time, can leave in first with cluth pressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do not get into the habit of driving with the clutch pushed in and no foot on the brake - this is known as 'coasting' and is not advisable.

Advertisement