Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Insurance Fines?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've just bought a new car on Monday, so transferred my insurance from my old car to new car.

I thought I was allowed to drive any other car, under my policy with the owners permission. So on Friday I drove my old car to my friends garrage to look after my car, but I think I drove past an anpr camera.

Now I am really scarred and having sleepless nights... I might get 6 points and a £200 fine, for driving with no insurance?! :confused:

How long will I have to wait until I get a letter in the post? Could it be that the anpr insurance database isn't updated yet in 5 days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

top_driver wrote: »
    I've just bought a new car on Monday, so transferred my insurance from my old car to new car.

I thought I was allowed to drive any other car, under my policy with the owners permission. So on Friday I drove my old car to my friends garrage to look after my car, but I think I drove past an anpr camera.

Now I am really scarred and having sleepless nights... I might get 6 points and a £200 fine, for driving with no insurance?! :confused:

How long will I have to wait until I get a letter in the post? Could it be that the anpr insurance database isn't updated yet in 5 days?
    If you have the driving of other cars extension, it will not cover you to drive a car that is also registered to your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 top_driver

oldyouth wrote: »
    If you have the driving of other cars extension, it will not cover you to drive a car that is also registered to your name.

Yes, just realised that the other day, but I didn't know. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yes, just realised that the other day, but I didn't know. :(
    I work in the business and I've never heard of any link between the cameras and an insurers database. If you were speeding, you'll probably get a fixed fine for that, if you weren't, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i am an insurance broker and i can confirm that driving of other cars does not cover any car you might own. you can only drive cars you do not own. however speed camaras do not detect for insurance. unless you were stopped by the guards and asked to produce insurance you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Could the OP confirm whether the incident happened in Ireland or in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The ANPR cameras do tie into the insurance databases, I don't know how often they're updated yet though (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/numbers-up-for-cartax-dodgers-with-new-gadget-1830410.html). I also *think* that they alert the Gardaí in the car who would then have to stop you, I don't think it records and automatically issues fines, so if you didn't get stopped on the spot I'd say you've a good chance of being ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Your grand, they aint linked into insurance tbh yet.

The garda would also have to have stoppped you on the spot.

What they are linked to is tax at the minute, more to follow, insurance details then given by tax office, but are often bull****ty poilicies/random dates/policy numbers

EDIT; since the op says it happened in england (see below) ive no idea:D

benifa wrote: »
    Could the OP confirm whether the incident happened in Ireland or in the UK?

You are right, it happened in the UK along a dual carriageway with lots of cctv.

Anyways, I hope its just 6 points and a £200 fine, as I probably went pass the cameras twice after a wrong turning, I hope the points are not doubled which would mean the licence being taken away I think. :(

Thanks for any advice. :)

If the worse comes... should I just pay the fine and accept the penalty points or go to court and explain the situation? That I thought I was covered under my new insurance, until my friend told me I'm not. :confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

You are right, it happened in the UK

I would ask these questions over here then, if I were you:
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Plenty of excellent UK-specific advice there :)
    should I just..accept the penalty points..

Irish licence or UK licence? If Irish, I don't think the DVLA can apply penalty points to it in any case..yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the worse comes... should I just pay the fine and accept the penalty points or go to court and explain the situation? That I thought I was covered under my new insurance, until my friend told me I'm not. :confused:

Thanks

Ignorance is no defence. When you get your drivers licence you are agreeing to abide by the law. Just pay the fine and take the points, bad and all as it is.

Hopefully the insurance company hadn't updated your info to database.

benifa wrote: »
    I would ask these questions over here then, if I were you:
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Plenty of excellent UK-specific advice there :)

Irish licence or UK licence? If Irish, I don't think the DVLA can apply penalty points to it in any case..yet.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Sorry, wrong forums, please delete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

quinn will cover you provided car is not registered on your name, and its nct'd and taxed, the other vechicle does not need to be insured its called third party extension, and its true because i rang them up last week and confirmed it,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just thinking out loud; if this were to happen, could you just send off the tax book as being sold to someone else and put a date of sale as prior to the date the camera spotted you?

Advertisement