Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a buggy

Options
  • 04-08-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

We have been looking at buggies for the past 2 weeks and thought we had settled on the Quinny Buzz, the whole package, but then I read some reviews and spoke to some people and most of the feedback is negative. Tonnes of complaints about punctures and flat wheels, hard to fold down, the carry cot is too narrow and only lasts 2 months.....it goes on and on. I really like the look of them and am still tempted but I was wondering if anyone has used a different brand and would recommend it. I am looking for one with the carry cot, car seat and buggy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we ended up with the graco mirage travel system, its bulky (had problems with fitting it in my boot)(although the quattro comes with a actual pram attachment it is bigger and bulkier so thats worse) and comes with a carseat/pram attachment, i wouldnt recommend it as the car seat had emma all scrunched up and we couldnt get her back to stay straight in it, and it is the carseat that is the pram attachment too

we bought the graco after a friend in worked told me his quinny wasnt that great, but tbh i found the graco brought different problems. i recommend and wish we bought the graco cleo, if you can find it. it has an actual pram attachment.cleopramchocolime.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I have the Neonato Zeta 8 Tris Travel System.

Fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Got it in Eurocycles Eurobaby. The carrycot is huge on it and my baby at nearly eight months old could probably still sleep comfortably in it for a night. The car seat has a hood on it that i didn't like as it kind of restricts baby but you can take it off and the buggy part is nice and roomy and you get a winter and a summer shade with it so you can interchange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought the maxi cosi mura 4,I love it.
    I also have a graco quattro tour de luxe.They coth have their advantages and disadvantages.
    They are also not the smallest folded.

The factors you need to consider are -
    Where will you be using it?
    Do you need it to be light?
    DO you need it to fold small?
    Are you thinking of # 2 soon?

Buying a buggy is as hard as buying a car,seriously!!

The icandy cherry was one of my favourites but the carry cot was so small and it was not suitable for a very tall person to push comfortabley.It is also quite expensive.
    I think the quinny buzz is a great all rounder,not too expensive,sturdy,comes in nice colours,folds easily and is practical.
    The Phil and teds is supposed to be good too as is the icandy pear if you are thinking of a 2nd soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We looked long and hard at the Quinny Buzz, but we personally found the breaks a bit 'hit & miss' we also thought the carrycot was a bit small, and we definately thought it was far too expensive > so we went for the Mothercare My Choice4 instead :-) lovely pram, great breaks, (frame actually made by Quinny) & we give it 10 out of 10 so far!

All prams with pneumatic tyres will get punctures, so the Quinny is not alone in this respect, but for €359 we think the My4 (in Cream) is just Great > The 'Maxi Cosi' car seat is €115 extra and we love it too (the isofix base is another extra) but we havent bothered with it > & we dont miss it either.

Got caught is a heavy shower the other day & the My4 rain cover is totally FAB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Just had a look at the mychoice and cant wait to go and see it in the shop. Its so hard to pick one, we've looked at so many and just when I think we've found the rite one I read a bad review about it. The mychoice seems to be an all rounder but I did read that it is bulky and heacy when folded. Did you manage ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found kiddicare.com brilliant for prices and service.
    They are probably not as much cheaper now though since Irish prices have dropped but definately worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ciera

Has anybody bought or seen the baby elegance?

http://www.babyelegance.org/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=4

If so what did you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I am finding it so hard to find a buggy. The main problem I'm having is finding a buggy that folds down nice and tidy. Any of the ones with carry cots that attach seperately are huge! Once the buggy folds down you have to put the carry cot somewhere and my car isnt that big :eek: My head is wrecked. The one Im looking at now is the Mamas and Papas Pliko. Has anyone used one of these?

janbaby wrote: »
    Just had a look at the mychoice and cant wait to go and see it in the shop. Its so hard to pick one, we've looked at so many and just when I think we've found the rite one I read a bad review about it. The mychoice seems to be an all rounder but I did read that it is bulky and heacy when folded. Did you manage ok?

I would describe the My4 as being like the 'VW Golf' of the pram world > Its very solid, its dependable, relyable, middle of the road features, well built, not a Rolls Royce, but not a Fiat Punto either :)

It is heavy-ish because its solid, but it does fold up pretty small, & it even fits in the boot of my wifes Toyota Yaris! (collapsible carrycot sits on the back seat) it zips around shopping centres, *then lock the front wheels and its great on footpaths too, and as already mentioned, the rain cover is 'top drawer' quality.

*the lock feature on the front wheels is for footpath walks only, it makes the pram much more stable, & it helps to soak up bumpy surfaces!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was going to go for an iCandy 3-in-1 but got this Cosatto in Smyths toystore instead - it's way better if you ask me and a lot cheaper!
    Light as a feather, strong and dead easy to fold/take apart.
    It's not isofix though but my car isn't anyway so...

http://www.toys.ie/Cosatto-Cabi-3-In-1-!F10806-prod.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

If somebody would have told me a few months ago that buying a Pram was more difficult then buying a car or even a house I would have laughed at him/her. But not anymore. Buying a buggy is the most difficult thing, we found.

As my wife is very "petite" we needed something that is very light in every mode (pram/carseat and buggy) and very easy to fold.

After trying out at least 25 and not really happy with any of them we in the end decided that the only three for us were:

1) BebeConfort Loola Up
    2) Concord Neo
    3) Teutonia Cosmo (not available in UK/Ireland)

In the end we ordered the Concord Neo for around £600 (Buggy, Pram & matching carseat) as we were the happiest with it. The matierals have a quality feel to it, and it is very light and easy to fold together. Most important for us was that you can release the Carseat and Pram from the Pram just by a Button on the Handle of the Carseat/Pram. No fiddling around with buttons on the side etc.

So far so good. Hope it lives up to the pricetag and our expectations when we are starting to use it.

One tip for you that I would not have known-

If you are getting a buggy frame that takes the car seat then get a car seat with a base for the car.Your back will thank you and it makes life so much easier.

I had to survive with out my car seat base for a month and it was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Has anyone seen the Cosatto Budi (formerly mobi) in the shops? There are great deals online for it but I was a test drive before I purchase! Cant seem to find one anywhere.

Joleigh wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Cosatto Budi (formerly mobi) in the shops? There are great deals online for it but I was a test drive before I purchase! Cant seem to find one anywhere.

Yes indeed, there is a shop on the long mile road called 'BabyFarm' (opposite Eurobaby) and they had them in stock only last month! > We loved the Mobi/Budi, we loved the easy fold down/ easy fold-up chassis, we just loved the chrome frame, all the the extras, the look of it, it really is a great little buggy, but we ended up going for the Mothercare My4 instead.

I would suggest that the Mobi is slightly more prone to zip problems than others, and that overall it is slightly less sturdy than our My4 > however, the Mobi is much, much easier to erect & to fold-down than the one we ended up buying "and sometimes I wish that we had bought the Mobi" its gorgeous (and it comes with a 4 year Guarantee) - its a lovely buggy really.

Red is my fave:)

Thanks Camelot.

I actually went to babyfarm on LMR yesterday to look at it! They only had a red display model which seemed a bit old and battered, but I did like it. I love the ember colour but no where seems to stock it! There are great deals online but I'd rather see it in the flesh before buying. I seriously considered the MY3 but the handle seemed a bit flimsy and rattley. Did you find this? Maybe it was just the display model.

I changed my car recently and it wasnt this much hassle!

The 'rattly handle' adds character I think > but seriously, its a very sturdy pram, which is reflected in its weight, in another post I called it the 'VW Golf' of the pram world > we have our My4 for six weeks now & its FAB! The collapsable carrycot is a must for us, (because of boot space), the handle is very user friendly with three or four height positions, the wheels come off & go back on a treat, the raincover makes it look really cool too > its just Great :D

The originally wanted the my4 but hubby preffered the 3 wheeler so we were gonna go with that but then I heard there was a recall on them because of problems with the front swivel wheel (although you're safe cos yours is the 4 wheeler). So I kept looking and now I'm hooked on the Cosatto Budi. I wont be happy till I see one in the flesh. I'm obsessed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We've gone ahead and bought a Quinny Buzz 4 travel system, didn't even need to look around at any others.

It was highly recommended in the shop, and after playing with it we found it very user friendly, light and very manageable. I love that it folds so easily and pops up again without any effort. I also think it folds away very neatly too.

Obviously we don't have a baby to properly test drive it yet! But I'm sure we won't be disappointed when we do.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough on the internet you could find bad reports for every buggy, you could also find good reports for them all too. I'm sure that as with most things in life, not everything is perfect. There are always 'bad batches'!

Good luck with whatever you decide on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I got the silvercross 3d pram system in black denim http://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-range/pram-systems/3D/black-denim/
    I had the carseat already. Got it in Smyths for 279 reduced from 449:p Have to say it's a lovely pram that can be put in 4 different positions and you cant go wrong with that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

hi, does anyone know where I can get Graco Cleo? Have looked at few shops, but no luck. baby is not due until December. my sister in law lent her graco car seat to us, so want to get a buggy/pushchair that I can fit car seat onto. Graco Cleo seems good.

• Advertisement

I loved it too:)

online4baby the ebay store sells them and mothercare had them but not sure if they still do.

thanks moonbeam, i saw them on online4baby as well. they are pretty good price too. I am just a bit worried my graco baby car seat won't fit onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Was in mothercare yesterday, and they had one of the graco's in...it was brown? Cleo rings a bell....it might been one.

I Don't know if you live in Dublin, but if it helps I was in the branch in stephen's green. Ring them up and ask at any rate, it looked like they had some new things in.

thanks for checking Hacked. I live in munster, will probably ring mothercare in limerick. hopefully they will have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

The Graco Cleo is a "Nice" pram but if youre looking for something that will last through more than one child I'd recommend avoiding it. On the plus side it is quiet light but the negative would be its not very user friendly in terms of folding and opening. Also have heard a lot of people have had problems with the back wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi Girls,

i just got my buggy recently.. it comes with everything and I have to say that it is the only one solid I found on todays market...
    I had to get it posted from Germany as its not available on Irish market but it was only €32 to get it over by DHL.
    As I said, they definately worth a look...
    There is a car seat up to 13kg coming with it which match the color of the pram and the biggy. The rain cover is also included..

http://www.kinderwagenwelt-fischer.de/popup_image.php/pID/830/imgID/0

i've been looking around at prams, and even though I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, the Graco Mosaic One Deluxe Travel System seems to be exactly what i'm looking for.

Anyone have any experience with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

hacked wrote: »
    i've been looking around at prams, and even though I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, the Graco Mosaic One Deluxe Travel System seems to be exactly what i'm looking for.

Anyone have any experience with it?

The Mosiac is a good travel system if your looking for something nice and light that folds as a stroller. No major problems with them that I've heard of and fairly easy to use in terms of opening and folding.

The Mosiac is a good travel system if your looking for something nice and light that folds as a stroller. No major problems with them that I've heard of and fairly easy to use in terms of opening and folding.

Hey thanks for the response. I actually checked it out today and found it to be awful! big and bulky, stiff and awkward to push around...and the car seat didn't seem safe! Pity.

I've looked at so many prams, and hate most of them. The Quinny is very popular, but I find it awkward. I love the bugaboo, but thats like the Porsche of the buggy world...pricey!

My friend has a mothercare my4 travel system. After spending a lot of time with her and her baby, I'm really impressed with it. Anyone have it?
    Don't know how you mothers picked a pram!! My head hurts already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

ciera wrote: »
    Has anybody bought or seen the baby elegance?

http://www.babyelegance.org/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=4

If so what did you think?

I got the Baby Elegance and its excellent so far. Alot of people have complimented us on it and how light it is. Its also easy to put together and take apart which is always good.

Advertisement