Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any walk in store that sells Sky Box's

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Does anyone know if there is any Physical Shop in Limerick that
    would sell a Sky Decoder Box ? My existing box has gone faulty
    after several years of use and I need a replacement.

Just wondering if there is someplace I can stroll into and buy one,
    rather than needing to ring up some random bloke that will be working
    from a van.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I am not sure if they are still there but there used to be a sky shop on the corner of parnell st and roches st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers will take a look Saturday morning.

Thought I got my original box from Finucanes years and years ago
    think they have moved now to eastway business park

~B.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I "might" have one lying around somewhere if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I was of the understanding that each box is "married" to each card, and you would require a new one of both.

jackncoke wrote: »
    I "might" have one lying around somewhere if you want it

Cheers for the offer, I'm ok though, only looking about at the moment and weighing
    all my options, I could go sky plus yet or my change over to Chorus.
    (Although was never impressed with Horizan/Westward Cable and the early Chorus days
    customer service )

I was of the understanding that each box is "married" to each card, and you would require a new one of both.

Yep but as far as I know you can get Sky to do some update to allow your existing
    card to be matched to a new box or an existing used box. Not sure if there is some
    number on the box you need to quote or if you need to have the telephone line connected or not. Day one I needed a line plugged in. (I had no phone in the house at the time so had someone match the card and box for me) Last month I got a new Card and it matched to my box without a phone line.

I really must get rid of those movie channels I never watch them and its all the same stuff
    over and over and paying 60 Yo Yo's a month.
    ~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I bought a Sky Box in Urlan TV a couple of years ago. They are at the corner of Clare St and the Dublin Road.

Just call Sky to marry up the card and new box. Only takes a few minutes and you dont need a phone line connected to the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

If you walk into one of the dealers such as the Sky Digital centre on Parnell st., they might have second hand boxes and may allow you to buy one for a reduced price.

However, if you want a brand new one, they will require you to pay a couple of hundred quid to buy you out of the phone line clause(its compliacted issue, but i did this years ago, may ahve changed).
    Don't worry about the marrying the card business, all of that can be sorted with any Sky box.

You mention you have full movies etc., I'd imagine your a long time customer.
    First port of call should be Sky, tell them you need a replacement box and what are your options and that you will be cancelling your subscription if you can't manage to get one for a reasonable price.

Secondly, is your box actually faulty?.
    Explain the problems you are having as they very possibly may be signal related and nothing to do with the boxes which are usually hard wearing.

I would strongly recommend you don't try to purchase a box from a dealer here as they will rip you off. Either pick one up of someone who is willing to give away or go to ebay and get a Sky + for 50-80 euros.
    Remember even with basic sub now, + features are free, no extra charge.
    If you need any more help PM me, I think I know you and you know me from way back in the day but not sure, so i can help you with any of the above issues.

Cheers, my fathers buddy may have a spare box if I need one, tis the box ok, I checked my alignment and LMB
    and switched out the box with another borrowed one. All channels work with another box and card.

Was told before by a few people that the old Grundig boxes
    gave issues with the capacitors in the power supply going, so when you switch channel from one that is horizontal polarity to one of vertical where there is a voltage change it can give problems that get worse over time which seems to tie in with the problems I have. Some channels stopped working, and it started off with only a few but got worse over a period of a few months.

Heard too Sky themselves when you ring up for a replacement box will all too often only supply you with a
    used box and not a new one. If you were to cancel the subscription and re-apply for sky plus with a different person as the bill owner it means you get an upgrade with sky+ for 1/3rd the price of geting a new box! crazy.
    They look after new customers but charge the hell out of
    existing ones.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bullets if you have no joy with the other box, I may....Have access to an old one that needs a home, Gimme a shout if you're stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Yes the one box I have that didnt really stand the test of time was in fact my original 2001 Grundig but it had a long life.
    You could try signing up as a new persons name but I think the address would get flagged as being the same as another account holder, then they start asking questions.
    Incidentally, what channels in the main were suffering signal breakup.
    The problem with the signal quality reading is that it is only reading one transponder to tell you that information.
    Good idea to ditch the Grundig anyways and most people get sky boxes for free often leaving them behind in apartments when they go. It's just Sky are a pain in making new boxes available to anyone that isn't a new subscriber.
    If I was in the market for a new SKy Box though, I would definitely scout a decent a Sky+ box on ebay for not that much, your entitled to full PVR facilities with any sky subscription.

• Advertisement
Advertisement