Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New to driving in Ireland... but not to driving

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all, I've been living in Dublin for 2 years now and I think I might get a car. I've been looking into it, I grew up in the states and I've had a valid NY State driver license for 10 years, and I do know that I will need an Irish license in order to get insure don anything. Unfortunately I have to retake the tests and all that.

My questions are mostly about insurance, the whole thing is very confusing. What kinds of cars would a 26 year old male be able to get insured on, and how do they choose which cars are cheaper to insure than others? Would they give me credit towards having been driving since I was 16 or will they consider me a new driver? Can I get the car with just a learner permit or should I wait until I get the license to take the test?

Also, how long do I have to wait between getting my learner permit and getting my full license?

My other, possibly really stupid, question is if I can be my own licensed driver? IE if I'm driving with an Irish learner permit can I also use my full US license to show me as a licensed driver? Sounds really dodgy, but might make life easier than asking my mate to sit in the car with me while I get used to it for the test.

All of this has actually been really annoying me so I really appreciate the advice, I'd just like to be able to get a car so I can get out of Dublin and into the countryside some more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

I do know that I will need an Irish license in order to get insured on anything. [/quote]

Are you sure about that, I know they accept full EU licence, so might well take US licence,
    What kinds of cars would a 26 year old male be able to get insured on, and how do they choose which cars are cheaper to insure than others?

Generally they base it off insurance group you can find a list of the different insurance groups for different cars here:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/

Also, how long do I have to wait between getting my learner permit and getting my full license?

There is a 6 month wait before you can sit your test after getting your learner permit.

Couple of other points, as you are coming from US good chance you may have only driven automatic. If you do your test in an automatic you are only fully licenced for automatics.

At the end of the day only insurance companies will be able to give you full answers, try ring around a couple. If they don't count your previous experience, you would probably be looking at a quote around 1000-1500 for learner no experience 26 on a 1L car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

Thanks for the Parker's link.... I didn't realize that the same categories applied here.

They'll only insure a US license for the first 12 months that I live in the country.... which I guess would have made it easy for me to get my Irish license back then had I seen the need. Also, another question... Once I get the Irish license, do I have to wait for a while to carry a passenger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Sorry, I should have said those groups are for the UK, I'm not sure if the same groups apply here exactly, but I'd be pretty confident they will be similar. It will definietly give you a good idea of the cheaper cars.

In relation to passengers no restrictions for cars anyways. Other than the standard 8 passenger rule or need a minibus licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My other, possibly really stupid, question is if I can be my own licensed driver? IE if I'm driving with an Irish learner permit can I also use my full US license to show me as a licensed driver? Sounds really dodgy, but might make life easier than asking my mate to sit in the car with me while I get used to it for the test.

Not a chance, you've no valid licence in this country now.
    gillo_100 wrote: »
    I do know that I will need an Irish license in order to get insured on anything.

Are you sure about that, I know they accept full EU licence, so might well take US licence,

That's a EU rule, there is no blanket recognition of US licences in Ireland
    Generally they base it off insurance group you can find a list of the different insurance groups for different cars here:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/
    The Irish don't use the UK rating system, we have one but the insurance companies won't tell what cars are in what. Only real way is to use an online quote engine and keep plugging in cars you like till you get a quote you can live with

Couple of other points, as you are coming from US good chance you may have only driven automatic. If you do your test in an automatic you are only fully licenced for automatics.

At the end of the day only insurance companies will be able to give you full answers, try ring around a couple. If they don't count your previous experience, you would probably be looking at a quote around 1000-1500 for learner no experience 26 on a 1L car.

AFAIK the US doesn't have an auto restriction on their licences, since they nearly all drive autos, so a US licence will let you drive manual or auto
    Thanks for the Parker's link.... I didn't realize that the same categories applied here.

They'll only insure a US license for the first 12 months that I live in the country.... which I guess would have made it easy for me to get my Irish license back then had I seen the need. Also, another question... Once I get the Irish license, do I have to wait for a while to carry a passenger?

There are no restrictions on passengers. You can carry as many passengers as your vehilce is designed for with your permit, just make sure 1 of them has a full Irish licence for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

Don't need to worry about the automatic thing, I worked construction for a bit and have a commercial driver's license, which uses a manual for the test. Drove a manual F-350 with a clutch lockout and dual rear wheels for a while.

Unfortunately American drivers licenses are not US licenses but are for the individual states. Some states have agreements with other countries that allow for the license to transfer, but Ireland doesn't have an agreement with any of them. If I was in Germany my NY license would be OK.

Also, is there any way to fast track the license? I'm starting to get nervous that even if I were to rent a car I'd no longer be on a valid license, even though my NY one is valid for another 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Del2005 wrote: »
    There are no restrictions on passengers. You can carry as many passengers as your vehilce is designed for with your permit, just make sure 1 of them has a full Irish licence for 2 years.

There is a limit of up-to 8 passengers max on a class B license ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't need to worry about the automatic thing, I worked construction for a bit and have a commercial driver's license, which uses a manual for the test. Drove a manual F-350 with a clutch lockout and dual rear wheels for a while.

Unfortunately American drivers licenses are not US licenses but are for the individual states. Some states have agreements with other countries that allow for the license to transfer, but Ireland doesn't have an agreement with any of them. If I was in Germany my NY license would be OK.

Also, is there any way to fast track the license? I'm starting to get nervous that even if I were to rent a car I'd no longer be on a valid license, even though my NY one is valid for another 5 years.

You usually can't hire a car till you've had your licence for 2 years, some will rent with less but charge a loading.

Only place you can't hire a car on your US licence is Ireland, and if you play dumb you still can, as you haven't been resident anywhere else to loose your 12 months. But you will be leaving yourself in a very bad situation if you do rent a car in Ireland on your US licence.

Advertisement