Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harris rf 2301

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a working rf 2301. Or get the front two reciver cards 1A1A1 & 1A1A2. I have searched the net high & low and have decided maybe I should try a bit closer to home. Any help would be appricated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This has valves in it, or have we confused it with a different Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 graigavern

No valves in it, I think I have narrowered the problem down to the VSWR Bridge on the 1a1a2 filter card.

Thanks anyways

Can you post a photo of it?

Here is a link of a pic of the RT http://www.bm-japan.com/Harris%202301.JPG

OK. I know where there are headset/handset plugs for it.

I have a Racal Syncal30, but I replaced the NATO jack with a professional 8 pin DIN
    Like this
    http://www.recelectronics.demon.co.uk/syncal30.htm
    I reboxed it as it falls over to easily with clip-on battery pack.
    Also I fitted a nut inside the Whip socket insulator to take standard 6', 8' and 10' screw in Whip instead of push in whip.

I also fitted manual RF/ITF AGC overide level as it doesn't cope with strong signals and breathes too much on meadium ones (making them noisier).

Finally I fitted green LEDs behind the decade switches as the glowing dots are too dim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A long shot, but you might contact the Signals Base Workshops in the Curragh Military Camp.

Of course they won't be able to supply you with what you need but someone might point you in the right direction as we used the 2301 for a long time in the Defence Forces.

Its been replaced a few years now, but if your really stuck these guys might be of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 radio_tech

Hi,
    probably I might be of some assist. I did a lot of work getting my RF-2301 running. I assembled it from defective parts I could find anywhere. Now the raio works great. I have a lot of spares available and even the cards you are looking for. But I am still looking for the Terchnical Manual. Most of the RF-2301 radio parts are identical to those of the civilian RF-230M, despite the front and back panel. So a RF-230M Technical Manual will be of real help. If you are interested I may send you a pdf file of this TM.
    Regds, radio_tech

Hi,
    I have a make shift manual of the 2301, Would this be any good to you? D civialn RT is much d same alright. I have searched high & low for parts but cant find them anywhere.
    I believe d VSWR bridge is giving me d trouble, D 2 Tuning Coils have u adjusted them at all? It doesnt make any difference in my RT.
    Any help would be appricated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 radio_tech

Hi again,
    yes - the manual would be very appreciated, of course. Now I am struggling wit a defective RF-2360 Power Supply. I beleave, but not for shure, that schematics are included in the RF-2301 radio manual.

What makes you believe that the VSWR measuring cicuit creates the trouble? What is the radio doing and what not? Knowing the symptoms will help me to finding the source of trouble. It is more common that the PA Control Board is the problem - or someting else. Would you please give my more information about the problem and it' symptomes?
    I just had a look in the schematics. There are no adjustable coils in the VSWR detector, but two adjustable capacitors. Do you mean those items?
    It is not very common that you have to readjust them if not some guy before played around with them. And if readjusting them made no difference at all it seems they are not the problem. Did you already check the PA and the PA Control Board? This evening at home I may make measuremts for you on my radio if it helps fixing the problem.
    I have most of the cards on stock as spare parts. If nothing else helps, I may send you such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curator

graigavern wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a make shift manual of the 2301, Would this be any good to you? D civialn RT is much d same alright. I have searched high & low for parts but cant find them anywhere.
    I believe d VSWR bridge is giving me d trouble, D 2 Tuning Coils have u adjusted them at all? It doesnt make any difference in my RT.
    Any help would be appricated.

Hi
    I just bought an RF2301 in need of repair and I wonder if you could email me your make shift manual please?

I am also in need of a circuit card and wonder if you ever tracked down a source of these?
    many thanks
    Joe G4PMY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭65535

They were a great radio in the day in comparison to the ANGRC165 but they did not like electronic bug keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curator

Hi all, I need a little help with the Harris RF2301 radio set and also the RF2360 power supply unit.

I bought the pair together this weekend at a local show. The radio set is missing one card and one module.

I am seeking the following parts

Memory Unit 10007-1120

12v to 24v convertor module 10007-0900

I am also seeking the service manual or copy for both radio and power unit, if anyone can help?

I believe the memory module is also the control processor for the radio set, is this correct?

(the card marked processor in the card rack is audio processing?)

If any user has the memory card in their radio set a good quality photograph would be appreciated. I plan to make a new control card using a PIC processor is I am unable to find the correct card.

Also seeking the pin out for the connectors

AC power input to the RF-2360

Microphone connector RF-2301

Coupler connections RF-2301

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

Joe G4PMY UK

Maybe join some USA forums and ask?

https://forums.qrz.com
    www.dxportal.com/
    https://www.american-milspec.com
    www.armyproperty.com
    http://partsources.net

Also ask http://www.armyradio.co.uk/
    and the ever helpful www.helmut-singer.de

Add a search on ebay.com with auto emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

65535 wrote: »
    They were a great radio in the day in comparison to the ANGRC165 but they did not like electronic bug keys.

I've never even seen or heard of an electronic key being used on the 2301.

I've heard of navy op's using a bug on the 165, but I only ever used a straight key on this set.

By the time the 2301 came into use most comms were data, including RTTY and voice from Lebanon.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭65535

I know - I never told anyone :)
    It did work and better than a straight key especially when mobile.

Advertisement