Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW 1.8T Oil Light

Options
  • 04-08-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi,

I got the yellow warning light on my dash for the 'low oil'.

I have put 2 litres of oil in asnd the dip stick shows that I am just below the Max amount required.

Unfortuatley the yellow warning light has not gone off. Do I need to bring the car to a mechanic to have this turned off or can I do it myself?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Potsy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

potsy11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got the yellow warning light on my dash for the 'low oil'.

I have put 2 litres of oil in asnd the dip stick shows that I am just below the Max amount required.

Unfortuatley the yellow warning light has not gone off. Do I need to bring the car to a mechanic to have this turned off or can I do it myself?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Potsy

You had to put in 2 litres? When was it last serviced? Do you notice any leaks in the engine bay or on the ground? If not it's probably a sensor issue and you'll have to bring it to a garage. The 1.8T's are really only in trouble when the red oil light comes on. If it does, turn off the engine immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The car has not been serviced in 20k miles.

The sensor came on and i checked the dip dtick. It was a little low on oil so i then put 2 litres into it. The dip stick no shows that its near max but the warning sensor light has not gone off.

I dont want to bring it to a garage in case i get charged 50 quid for turning off a sensor. Can I do something myself to knock it off or is it a case that it need to be hooked up to a computer to knock off?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The sensor came on and i checked the dip dtick. It was a little low on oil so i then put 2 litres into it. The dip stick no shows that its near max but the warning sensor light has not gone off.

I dont want to bring it to a garage in case i get charged 50 quid for turning off a sensor. Can I do something myself to knock it off or is it a case that it need to be hooked up to a computer to knock off?

Thanks

20K is alot without a Service or Oil Change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The sensor came on and i checked the dip dtick. It was a little low on oil so i then put 2 litres into it.

Thanks

First of all, 20,000 miles is way too long for a service, 10,000 should be the maximum.

Secondly, if you could put in 2 litres and still be below the MAX line then it was more than a little low. I'd take it to a mechanic pronto

Advertisement