Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant Plague in Ireland!!!

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Im pretty sure im not the only one who has seen an increase in ants this year.

...so I was cleaning the garden, digging up a few weeds, throwing a bit of litter in the bin when.....must have been 100's of thousands of ants appeared (they even tried to crawl on me) - they was angry I disturbed their nest so the Queen obviously sent them on a mission.

But this is not by far the first time this year. Ive had ants enter my gaff and I only noticed them because of the crumbs and leafs that, I thought, were walking across the floor! Once they get into your gaff your fuxxed...took me 2 months to get them out. But you do learn fast with them. They always walk in a straight line and they follow each other to the grub as if they were soldiers or something carrying out food.

Anyone else notice the increase in ants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Had Ants coming into my house for the last three years. Their hard enough to get rid of alright.
    The powder is ****e, but there are special gel capsules that you can leave on the floor the ants like the smell of the gel and they take bits of it back to the nest as feed for the larvae which sorts the problem in about 3 weeks. There's no point killing the workers as theres are millions of them you have to get them at the source. Annoying feckers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think the problem is their sheer numbers are increasing very fast - far faster then our elimination of individual nests. Their bloody everywhere now! Sit on any patch of ground now and you will see an ant. It's like colonisation of the globe, or Ireland at least, is within their grasp! There are much more now then a few years ago.

Whilst I welcome our new Ant overlords, as opposed to Fianna Fail, I don't think governance would be as liberal. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Ah the house I was in in the last year of uni, was plagued with the feckers! Ended up using a dose of the chalk/ powder which eventually worked, became so bad in the end we just had to give the place a serious clean..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

darkman2 wrote: »
    Whilst I welcome our new Ant overlords, as opposed to Fianna Fail, I don't think governance would be as liberal. Thoughts?

An ant can carry 5 or 6 times its own weight! Can't imagine FF carrying that much weight on their own backs..!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

DamoDLK wrote: »
    An ant can carry 5 or 6 times its own weight! Can't imagine FF carrying that much weight on their own backs..!

Ahh, but they do carry their enormous salaries and expenses, impressive for people so weak minded to be able to manage such a feat so easily.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know they're an annoyance, but do ants do any harm? Spread disease or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ants - They feed upon the fear of the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Was washing up at my kitchen sink yesterday and just glanced behind the fridge and saw hundreds of them on the wall. I ran off to Woodie's straight away and got some spray and those bait traps. Have 2 of them down and I'm gonna stick another one on the wall where I saw them. Little gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep, was only thinking the same thing myself the other day...seems to be way more this year than any other year for some reason.

A lot of them appearred in our kitchen a few years ago. The odd one for a week or two and then all over the floor one day. I pulled out the dryer, as I saw them going in under it, and there was a nice big nest in there. Millions of the buggers. Called exterminator immediadely who zapped the whole thing. Cost about a hundred quid but have never had another ant indoors thank god...they are harmless but damn annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Haven't noticed it myself. I live in the countryside though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I assume they are just more noticible this year due to the amount of rain we have been having lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Typical. Bought my nephew an ant farm thingy for his birthday, went out looking and couldn't find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Theres more of everything this year....ants, flies, scumbags, taxes, its all coming apart lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Fook, I hope that we don't see the same kind of increase in Dec's as well - imagine that Monday to Sunday night takeaway's followed by double edition of "I'm a Celebrity" - i'm moving to Venus.

(p.s. no Uranus jokes - too early)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

hate the feckers - there's tons of them in australia! Small ****ty ones you can't see and bigger ****ty ones you can and huge bastards that will sting the ****e out of you!

I have been trying for ages to find the nest(s) and put the longacting ant-killer on it but only with partial success - they come out of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

MacGyver, episode 106, nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

phase IV, that's all i'll say, phase IV !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Ants - They feed upon the fear of the weak.

yeah but Mary Harney is their worst nightmare, she consumes more ants than 100 ardvarks...in ten seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zGeek

hehehe.
    So funny when ants get pissed off by little kindergardeners
    even moar funnier when the kindergardeners get bitten and start crying :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Have they come out to mate yet?

You'll see them swarming out of every crack in the pavement. I think it usually happens around this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

HAIL ANTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

ben bedlam wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

HAIL ANTS

not if its them flyin ones! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

not if its them flyin ones! :eek::eek::eek:

it could be worse, it could be ADAM ANT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

now that puts things into perspective ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the increase in ants?
    Over the past few years yeah... huge increase.
    I don't even remember seeing an ant in the 80's or 90's... now they're everywhere.
    I for one welcome drastic measures to eradicate Ireland's ant population... little fúckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

The only time I ever seen ants in Ireland I was 10 and me and my friend poured salt all over them.

So no more ants around my house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

now that puts things into perspective ^
    ''Too much fcuking perspective.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Agh!

Aghhh!

Aghhhhhhh!

Ants!

Advertisement