Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Limerick

Options
  • 04-08-2009 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Any good ideas for places that need volunteers on an ongoing basis?

I'm moving to Limerick from the US and will have at least a couple of weeks before I'll have all of the paperwork in order to get a job. I'm looking for something to fill up twenty or so hours a week, so I can keep busy while I'm meeting people and checking out my newest home.

I'm an accountant by trade, so I could easily help out with an organization's office work or bookkeeping, but I'm also good with kids and the elderly. Is there a volunteer center or website that matches volunteers with people/organizations in need? Is there a charity shop in the city centre that needs people to clean/stock/fold/organize/run the register?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Do you like animals? Limerick animal welfare are always looking for people to help out....
    http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/

They might need dog walkers etc....thing is I'm not sure they would have 20 hours work as you specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Oh i second JerryHandbag's suggestion! They are a great charity and do wonderful work. Wish i could win the EuroMillions and give them a chunk!
    They also have a shop in Parnell Street(near the train station) so they might need help there too.
    Well done for volunteering and welcome to Limerick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Thank you both - I can't believe I didn't think about dogwalking for the shelter. I'm sure the change from constant blue skies & warm & sunny to Ireland's less reliable weather will affect me, so being outdoors & getting extra exercise will be as good for me as it will for the dogs!
    Thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I've come across a good few people involved with various charities and organisations who say that what they really need is someone with accounting skills and business acumen to keep their organisation ticking over, so I'd say you'd be just what many of them need.

There is a website,

http://volunteerlimerick.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

that pairs people's skills with voluntary organisations.

Or what you could do is contact an organisation you are interested in yourself. You can find contact details by going to www.goldenpages.ie, then do a search for "charity caring groups" in Limerick. Best of luck.

Advertisement