Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This couldn't work could it

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

A guy I work with who is always talking a good deal of B/S told me that his mate managed to escape vrt by doing the following...

1. Keep an eye out for a crashed version of desired car and purchase.
    2. Buy same make model and year at auction in UK
    3. Change number plates and drive new car as repaired crashed car
    4. Sell crashed car for parts

I already called him on the fact that the chassis number will be different but he seems convinced that day to day he is going to be fine as this wont be looked at for the NCT/Tax/insurance purposes.

Can anyone confirm/deny this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

that is very ilegal and you would be facing a huge fine and probable jail time when caught out.
    the car would also not be insured if in an accident,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

A guy I work with who is always talking a good deal of B/S told me that his mate managed to escape vrt by doing the following...

1. Keep an eye out for a crashed version of desired car and purchase.
    2. Buy same make model and year at auction in UK
    3. Change number plates and drive new car as repaired crashed car
    4. Sell crashed car for parts

I already called him on the fact that the chassis number will be different but he seems convinced that day to day he is going to be fine as this wont be looked at for the NCT/Tax/insurance purposes.

Can anyone confirm/deny this??

I can confirm your mate is a idiot

Even if he does do it the price of buying a crashed car would (given if the car in question is half decent) be more than the VRT.

And also if he does sell on the crashed car with no log books unless he knows a illegal operating chop shop he's gonna find it tough as you have to produce a log book your scrapping.

Yep your friend is a 100% certified gob****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'm sure this ihas been done, heard of similar stories with stolen bikes from the UK. it wouldn't take much for automotive forensics to check out the history if it if it was involved in a fatal accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 NiggaPlease

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I can confirm your mate is a idiot

Even if he does do it the price of buying a crashed car would (given if the car in question is half decent) be more than the VRT.

And also if he does sell on the crashed car with no log books unless he knows a illegal operating chop shop he's gonna find it tough as you have to produce a log book your scrapping.

Yep your friend is a 100% certified gob****e.

Yea well I'm not so sure I believe it in the first place but I figured there had to be some safeguard to stop this from happening.

The car in question is only worth about 2 grand or so therefore I'd imaging finding a knacked or scrap car in this price range might make it viable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yea well I'm not so sure I believe it in the first place but I figured there had to be some safeguard to stop this from happening.

The car in question is only worth about 2 grand or so therefore I'd imaging finding a knacked or scrap car in this price range might make it viable

Even the VRT on a car like that could not be more than €600 really worth the hassle of a hefty fine or jailtime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'm sure this ihas been done, heard of similar stories with stolen bikes from the UK. it wouldn't take much for automotive forensics to check out the history if it if it was involved in a fatal accident.

I don't think he's going to be too worried about scamming VRT if he's been in a fatal accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dave147 wrote: »
    I don't think he's going to be too worried about scamming VRT if he's been in a fatal accident.
    I wouldbe more worried if it was sold on to some unsuspecting customer. It would eventually get back to him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"Ringing" a car is easily possible. You'd need to get the log book of the crashed car however, and it'd only be of value if it hadn't been w/o for insurance and registration/road tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I wouldbe more worried if it was sold on to some unsuspecting customer. It would eventually get back to him.

Not really true...ignorance would be no defence in that situation..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

the NCT will catch it... they do check chassis number against VLC,
    they do this to enusre idiots like your mate are caught

and to ensure people are not swapping reg plates onto different cars to get that reg number to pass the NCT...

all in all your mate is an idiot,
    1. he has bought two cars.... albeit one is crashed, but he still would have to pay for it,

2. HE WILL GET CAUGHT...

3. now he will have to pay VRT and penalties, possible fraud convixtion... so his original cheap car is going to cost him a lot more money in the long run... and posibbly have a jail sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Chassis numbers can be ground down and restamped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Read the charter OP. Don't start threads about how to aviod taxes/the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement