Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth Update - Cork City

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Take a look. Images are from summer 2008 I think. Good shots of the infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Slightly aggravating that Cork gets updated again while massive tracts of the country lie without any imagery. Still, good to see something being done with Ireland on Google Earth, they've been a bit lax over the last few months, the new imagery is very clear too which is good to see :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Galway got a recent update also, you can see the Galway-Ballinasloe scheme on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Yes, very disappointing that only Cork got updated. The images are clearly designed in some cases to reflect recent road improvements: follow the N22 westward, for example, and you'll see what I mean. Most of Munster has no decent imagery at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

motorways could do with a bit of an update too,according to G.e theres only 2 short stretches of M8

Dublin city recently got updated too, but problem is my house in blanchardstown is covered in a big cloud :(
    on the plus side tho you can see parts of the upgraded m50 with the new m50-n7 interchange(almost finished) on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Wonder when it was taken, the Park & Ride is completely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think Sunday morning is prefered. The imagery arouund my house in Berlin was all taken on a sunday (can tell from the weekly market).

Have a look underneath the ballymount junction on the m50 theres a broken down car causing delays and you can even see a garda directing traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Goole Earth is a bit of a waste of time for Ireland. They just keep updating areas already covered and leave vast areas of the country with no coverage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Goole Earth is a bit of a waste of time for Ireland. They just keep updating areas already covered and leave vast areas of the country with no coverage at all.

If they cover Cork and Dublin alone, almost half of the population has access to it. Covering all the other towns at huge expense would bring in less people. Why bother? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wateford city is still a blur apart from the most eastern suburb, its like the did higher rez for the wrong longitude.

markpb wrote: »
    If they cover Cork and Dublin alone, almost half of the population has access to it. Covering all the other towns at huge expense would bring in less people. Why bother? :D

I see your point, but I hate it. By that rationale, why would they have bothered covering anywhere but the biggest cities of any country?? You can zoom in on almost any farmhouse in Europe/USA for christ's sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Wonder when it was taken, the Park & Ride is completely empty.

September 9, 2007 which was indeed a Sunday. The date is on the bottom of the image, towards the right in google earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

markpb wrote: »

Galway is in detail in it too. As are parts of rural Mayo and Kerry - go figure that logic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

They should update the whole Tipp, Clare, Limerick Galway region in one.

They did an update a few years ago with Limerick and Cork as one strip. When they update google earth in other contries they take in the areas the size of country Cork and bigger. The odd box here and there, is just really annoying me.

like the Galway and Limerick updates have two boxes one is really outdated where the other update is more recent. The mapping for Ireland is a joke incomparison to the rest of Europe.

Cork is good, but it only covers the city. ffs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The mapping is Tele-Atlas's (known to be the worse of the two providers for satnavs, but its not like Navteq are much better) and the aerial photography is from whoever they can get it from. This is due to the OSI not selling their mapping data or aerial at a reasonable cost....

The OSI's website has the entire country covered in "2000" (appears to be 1999-2000) and "2005" (appears to be 2003-2005 depending on area) aerial in very good detail. Its not as high detail as the areas Google do have high detail for though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Re: the Dublin update - funny how images of the Red Cow interchange have been updated in Satellite mode; but in Map mode it's still a roundabout.
    In contrast, the N4 interchange still has the old roundabout images in Satellite mode but Map mode has been showing the new freeflow layout for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Must take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

I think the last one was September 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

MYOB wrote: »
    This is due to the OSI not selling their mapping data or aerial at a reasonable cost....

Presumably due to a lack of support from public finances they have to make it up by charging such high prices (presumably they make enough from those who have little option but to pay the money). One would have to wonder if they wouldn't make more money if they still charged, but charged a lot less. It is possible that wouldn't be the case though.

• Advertisement

The cynic inside me says that the OSI don't *want* to sell their data to anyone else. Their costings for it are worked out by taking the cost of surveying since day 1 - when you consider that two mapping firms (Navteq and Tele-Atlas) both decided that it was far cheaper to just drive roads manually than buy even that off them its clear they're charging enough to pay for the entire damn thing each time!

I contacted OSI about this last winter. They said they were never approached for their images by google or anyone else.

They were certainly approached for their raw mapping data, repeatedly. Possibly not by Google, though.

I do agree that Google Earth would benefit from the use of our ortho-photo data. However Google's data acquisition strategy is very much a matter for them, but they are aware of the existence of our datasets.

However Google have recently invested heavily in an exclusive deal which will provide them with imagery from the recently launched satellite - called GeoEye-1. I can only assume that they have a need to maximise the return on that investment by sourcing most of their data from that satellite in the longer term.

Kind regards,

^^ That's what they sent me. I had a false memory about the contents. It doesn't really say anything about anyone anyone else using their data.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Furet wrote: »
    I contacted OSI about this last winter. They said they were never approached for their images by google or anyone else.
    Google may already have known what the cost would be and didn't bother approaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

They should really update google earth.

I would like to see Ennis and Limerick updated in it.
    Kildare should be in it by now..
    Also Tipperary also.

Ah feck it, would they just do one big square for Ireland, its not ****ing antartica. It seems the Yanks only are interested in the west coast of Ireland. But they have forgotten the fact that we also live in other parts of Ireland and not just bloody Dingle.:rolleyes:

The mapping of the Midlands and north is an absolute joke, but a small town like Enniscorthy has been mapped on it for years. They recently added Mullingar and Tullamore but the quality is sh*te, also they added a strip down Roscommon but stopped about 4 miles outside Athlone :confused: Its also a joke that Waterford city isn't on it. As for OSI, I just don't think GE have prioritised this island at all, if it was an issue with OSI surely Northern Ireland wouldn't be affected?

Advertisement