Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork on a shoestring!!

Options
  • 03-08-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi
    I'm travelling to Cork City soon on a short break that we really can't afford but can't resist! :D We got a great cheap deal on fab hotel but I'm concerned about the cost of always eating out.

We are looking for some recommendations for trendy, good quality and good value restaurants and cafes, without having to rely on your bog standard "cheap and cheery" Italian ;). There have been a few new places in Dublin opening up recently which really offer value for money without compromising on quality. Can anyone please recommend suitable places we could go?

Emm, seafood and japanese food are particular favourites of ours, but anything would be great :)

Cheers
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

How much are you willig to pay for a meal for2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 spudfitz

God, I dunno, but there's been a bit of a movement these days with new places charging 5euro for starter and 10euro for main - for good quality food! We really are strapped for cash :) but obviously would prefer to pay more for good quality than be disappointed with the whole experience

No pressure!!

or also good places offering special deals - e.g 2 for 1, set meals etc.

ta
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

spudfitz wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm travelling to Cork City soon on a short break that we really can't afford but can't resist! :D We got a great cheap deal on fab hotel but I'm concerned about the cost of always eating out.

We are looking for some recommendations for trendy, good quality and good value restaurants and cafes, without having to rely on your bog standard "cheap and cheery" Italian ;). There have been a few new places in Dublin opening up recently which really offer value for money without compromising on quality. Can anyone please recommend suitable places we could go?

Emm, seafood and japanese food are particular favourites of ours, but anything would be great :)

Cheers
    Sarah

If you're talking about shoestring budgets, then the Italian restaurants in Cork are by no means cheap and cheery. There are lots of deals on, early birds, e.g., two course early birds for €20, in some of the nicer places, but I'm guessing this does not count as shoestring. The average place in town is about ~€12.50 for the main course. That includes Japanese place, Wagamama and most of the Italian places. For cheap food, I can't think of much aside from fast food and Chinese. There are a lot of places now that do lunch specials for <€10 too, but we don't really have good bargains here yet like they have in Dublin. It does depend on what you consider to be cheap...

Oh cool, I love wagamama so will defo go there one of the nights!

• Advertisement

God, I dunno, but there's been a bit of a movement these days with new places charging 5euro for starter and 10euro for main - for good quality food! We really are strapped for cash :) but obviously would prefer to pay more for good quality than be disappointed with the whole experience

No pressure!!

Well in that range you'll be OK (for an extra couple of euro on the main anyway). Generally the standard of food in this range in Cork is decent, unless you're getting kebabs or something. It is rare that you come across a really bad place like in other cities. Will try to think of some places that will feed two courses for two of ye for €30... off the top of my head there are a few places that I would recommend, but you'd have to be getting some kind of salad for your main course so it's not ideal :)

Illkillya wrote: »
    There are lots of deals on, early birds, e.g., two course early birds for €20, in some of the nicer places, but I'm guessing this does not count as shoestring.

I think €20 early bird is very good value, thanks

I think €20 early bird is very good value, thanks

Well I know the Market Lane do two courses and tea (and a little chocolate cup) for €20, so I'll recommend that one for sure. I think Star Anise have early bird for about that too, with decent food also, maybe an extra couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

that chinese place upstairs next to H.Samuel is very nice and is extremely cheap at lunch time. if thats still operating, might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

if u like mothers home cooking thats if your mother was a good cook like mine then KELLYS KITCHEN at top of oliver plunkett st grand parade side does the best home style food around at 14 to 18 euro for a 4 course dinner on a sunday with a choice of starters 3 or 4 main 10 choices at least and 4 dessert with tea or coffee u cant go wrong .during week days have same type menus

• Advertisement
Advertisement