Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDFury - Connect Sky HD to non HDCP Display..?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use HDFury?

I've an older Pioneer plasma display and I want to hook it up to my Sky+HD box as the display handles 720p. I cannot connect the display to the HDMI output of the Sky box (via DVI-D) as the display is not HDCP compliant.

I'm strongly considering buying the HDFury gizmo and connecting it via the VGA input or the component input.

I'd appreciate any comments/feedback that anyone may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Have you tried the DVI clip on the tv?
    If its still a no show then yes that's a possible adaptor but that's HORRENDOUSLY over priced !! I looked at doing that once and was quoted €130 by a store in Dublin.
    Further to that COMPONENT TO HDMI ?

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My display has DVI-D in. I got a HDMI>DVI adapter but as the display cannot complete the handshake, the Sky+HD box will not send the signal via HDMI. My Apple PowerBook will work via the DVI input but the Sky box will not. Currently I've the Sky+HD box hooked up via S-Video - good but not as good as 720p!

Apparently the HDFury will complete the handshake which will enable the Sky+HD box to output a signal via HDMI.

If anyone has used the HDFury (or similar) I'd appreciate any feedback in advance of me spending $200 on the device........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'd suggest that you pop along to Curt Palme's CRT forum - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/ and have a chat with the guys there about the performance of the HD Fury. The CRT guys have been using a variety of convertors for analo->digital and vice versa fro some time and they're also tech savvy and direct in their views so you should get good info. I can't help from my own experience, went all digital some time ago.

Hope you find a workable solution,

Ritz.

Thanks for that The Ritz. I've already been in contact with Curtpalme - very helpful guys. It turns out my display can't do 720p/50 but should be ok with 1080i.

I've stalled on getting the HD Fury for the moment as Sky are trying to source me a refurbed Thomson HD box with component out. If they can do this then there is no need for the Fury in my case. Sky are due to call on Monday week (31st) so I'll update then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

A component out solution would probably be the best option in the circumstances, let us know how you get on.

Ritz.

• Advertisement

akaSol wrote: »
    Have you tried the DVI clip on the tv?
    If its still a no show then yes that's a possible adaptor but that's HORRENDOUSLY over priced !! I looked at doing that once and was quoted €130 by a store in Dublin.

The DVI input on my display (PDP-503MXE) only accepts computer inputs - the input is mounted on the optional PDA-5002 video card. This video card also enables the display to scale video images from sources other than a computer through inputs 1&2 which are the main display inputs. Some additional info here.
    akaSol wrote: »
    Further to that COMPONENT TO HDMI ?

>Sol

As it says in the link, the cable does not exist. HDMI is digital and component is analogue. A D/A convertor would be needed in between. Such a cable (if it did exist) would not be capable of completing the HDCP handshake and leave me back at square one.

The Ritz wrote: »
    A component out solution would probably be the best option in the circumstances, let us know how you get on.

Ritz.

An update. The Sky engineer called today - a week and a half late as they were waiting on a refurbed Thomson box that had component out.

I came home and made the necessary connections to the display and now I've got a very acceptable HD picture on my 50" Pioneer plasma in 1080i - slightly downscaled as the Pioneer's native resolution is 1280x768. I thought that the HD channels looked good via S-Video but nothing compared to what I have now!

So a few quid saved by not having to buy the HD Fury.

So for those of you with older displays or projectors that are not HDCP compliant, just contact Sky and ask for a Thomson box with component out. (my fingers are crossed in the hope that the power supply capacitors have been changed on my refurb!)

Advertisement