Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google page rank

Options
  • 03-08-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm trying to understand Google page rank without getting too much of a headache.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_Rank#Simplified_algorithm

If for example a site with a rank of 8 has a link to my site, would this be the same as two sites with a rank of 4 having a link to my site?

Would appreciate if anyone could simplify this or direct me to an easier to understand explanation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

In theory, yes - the 2 links from sites with PR of 4 would be equal in value (link juice) to one link from a PR 8, all other things being equal.

PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + ... + PR(tn)/C(tn))

So, if I assume that each page only has one outbound link to your site (ie. C is equal to 1), and your site has no other links pointing to it:
    My PR1 = 0.15 + 0.85 (8/1) = 6.95

My PR2 = 0.15 + 0.85 ((4/1) + (4/1)) = 6.95

In practice, this isn't a realistic example. You can't just take the PR of the page that's linking to you into consideration when evaluating links - you have to also consider the number of other links on that page (the greater the nr of outbound links, the less value of each), and more inmportantly, what the link says about the page it's linking to (ie. the anchor text)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Derek B wrote: »
    In theory, yes - the 2 links from sites with PR of 4 would be equal in value (link juice) to one link from a PR 8, all other things being equal.

PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + ... + PR(tn)/C(tn))

So, if I assume that each page only has one outbound link to your site (ie. C is equal to 1), and your site has no other links pointing to it:
    My PR1 = 0.15 + 0.85 (8/1) = 6.95

My PR2 = 0.15 + 0.85 ((4/1) + (4/1)) = 6.95

In practice, this isn't a realistic example. You can't just take the PR of the page that's linking to you into consideration when evaluating links - you have to also consider the number of other links on that page (the greater the nr of outbound links, the less value of each), and more inmportantly, what the link says about the page it's linking to (ie. the anchor text)

Thanks for that. Your PR1/2 formulas are making more sense to me. Also I wasn't aware that the greater links for each page the less individual value, thats worth noting alright.

kgpixels wrote: »
    Also I wasn't aware that the greater links for each page the less individual value, thats worth noting alright.

Just to clarify, it's number of links on page...if I link one page on my site to 10 other sites, they each get passed x/10 link "juice"...if I link only to 2 sites, each one gets x/2 link "juice"...so in the second instance, the links are each worth more to the sites I'm linking to (x/2 > x/10)

Just to clarify, it's number of links on page...if I link one page on my site to 10 other sites, they each get passed x/10 link "juice"...if I link only to 2 sites, each one gets x/2 link "juice"...so in the second instance, the links are each worth more to the sites I'm linking to (x/2 > x/10)

Ok, almost there :)
    Is the page rank just related to your main domain / home page, or is it transferred to the other pages in your site as well?

Reason I ask is that if I do a search in google for the two keywords that most relate to our site, its not the home page that comes up its actually a sub page that I have targeted more to those keywords.

So the question now is, should I be targeting the home page more for those keywords?

Ok, almost there :)
    Is the page rank just related to your main domain / home page, or is it transferred to the other pages in your site as well?

Reason I ask is that if I do a search in google for the two keywords that most relate to our site, its not the home page that comes up its actually a sub page that I have targeted more to those keywords.

So the question now is, should I be targeting the home page more for those keywords?

PageRank flows through your site, from page to page, via the internal links that hold your site together.

Every page has it's own pagerank value. Remember that pagerank is derived from the links into that page (specifically pagerank of the page(s) linking to your page, and also the number of outbound links on the page(s) linking to your page). Naturally, every sites' homepage will have the highest pagerank of all pages on that site - this makes sense as the vast majority of links to a site will be to the domain name/homepage, including internal links (think about your site structure, usually every page will link back to the homepage, but not every page will link to every other page).

Some people use 'nofollow' links to pages they don't want to pass pagerank (eg. 'Privacy Policy', which doesn't need to rank in search engines). In this way, they claim to be able to conserve pagerank on the most important pages on their site, and not 'waste' pagerank on non-important pages. Many people are sceptical of this practice, and don't beleive in the use of nofollow/pargerank sculpting.

Going back to your mention that a lower level page ranks higher than your homepage for a key search term, this doesn't necessarily mean that your lower level page has a higher pagerank than your homepage. What it's more likely to mean, as you referred to, is that the subpage has the relevant content to rank for that term. It could mean you don't have enough content on your homepage.

It's difficult to answer your question "should I be targeting the home page more for those keywords?". Probably yes, but not necessarily. How does your competition rank for your key terms? Is it targeting niche terms, or are they highly competitive? Does your subpage rank at the top of the results, or lower down the SERPs? Remember, it's easier to target a subpage on one or two terms than the homepage which normally has more ground to cover in terms of targeting terms, so inevitable your homepage dilutes the impact of each term by targetting too many

• Advertisement

PageRank flows through your site, from page to page, via the internal links that hold your site together.

Every page has it's own pagerank value. Remember that pagerank is derived from the links into that page (specifically pagerank of the page(s) linking to your page, and also the number of outbound links on the page(s) linking to your page). Naturally, every sites' homepage will have the highest pagerank of all pages on that site - this makes sense as the vast majority of links to a site will be to the domain name/homepage, including internal links (think about your site structure, usually every page will link back to the homepage, but not every page will link to every other page).

Some people use 'nofollow' links to pages they don't want to pass pagerank (eg. 'Privacy Policy', which doesn't need to rank in search engines). In this way, they claim to be able to conserve pagerank on the most important pages on their site, and not 'waste' pagerank on non-important pages. Many people are sceptical of this practice, and don't beleive in the use of nofollow/pargerank sculpting.

Going back to your mention that a lower level page ranks higher than your homepage for a key search term, this doesn't necessarily mean that your lower level page has a higher pagerank than your homepage. What it's more likely to mean, as you referred to, is that the subpage has the relevant content to rank for that term. It could mean you don't have enough content on your homepage.

It's difficult to answer your question "should I be targeting the home page more for those keywords?". Probably yes, but not necessarily. How does your competition rank for your key terms? Is it targeting niche terms, or are they highly competitive? Does your subpage rank at the top of the results, or lower down the SERPs? Remember, it's easier to target a subpage on one or two terms than the homepage which normally has more ground to cover in terms of targeting terms, so inevitable your homepage dilutes the impact of each term by targetting too many

Your right, I checked on a page rank checker and the sub page that is coming up has a lower rank. On my site every page links back to the home page and to almost every other page.
    I hadn't heard about 'nofollow' links before. I see that it was actually designed buy google. There are a few pages that I could use this on, so will try it out.
    Yeah the lower level page had more of the keywords, so l'nite added a few more to the home page. Other thing about the sub page is that it has the keywords in the page file name. So this is obviously giving it a boost.
    In short we are a few places lower than the competition, so need to move up. Need to do more work on getting the domain out to other sites / 3rd parties. This SEO is nearly a fulltime job :)

This SEO is nearly a fulltime job :)

It is for me!

It is for me!

Well cheers for the info anyway. I've a lot to be working on for now, but no doubt I'll be back here soon, scratching my head again :)

Advertisement