Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuse problem on VW Mk4 Golf

Options
  • 03-08-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    I have a 2000 VW Golf TDI Estate.
    Its a base model with manual windows and an electric sunroof.
    Im having a problem with a fuse that keeps blowing.
    Its fuse number 38 on the fuse panel. Its a blue 15A fuse and blows the second that its plugged in.
    I have a feeling that this fuse is for the interior lighting, central locking, sunroof and boot opener.
    Last week, possibly more then 7 days ago I got a set of LED lights for the interior and there are no problems with them since and I have had a few outings in the car.
    Yesterday I got a new radio and speakers for the car. One set of speakers was broken so I got a replacement pair. This resulted in the front door panels being taken off and put back on a few times.
    Today I was driving and opened the sun roof. When I stopped and switched the engine off I realised I left the roof open so I switched on the ignition again and closed it. Since then the sunroof wont open, the interior lights wont come on, the boot lid wont open without the key and the central locking wont work.
    I bought two replacement fuses and the instant I plugged them in they blew.
    So, thats everything that I have done with the car that has something to do with the electrics.
    Im thinking that its the sunroof thats causing the fuse to blow.
    Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.
    How would I go about troubleshooting and fixing this?
    I havent checked any other fuses yet, I only know of number 38 being blown.

Note: On my car (right hand drive) the fuse board layout is reversed.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.
    bbk

EDIT:
    I have just checked all the fuses and only #38 has blown.
    I opened the little hatch on the roof and plugged out a big plug that went into the sunroof motor system, set the two interior lights over the back seats to the off position. The interior light for the front doesnt work. The button broke off with the previous owner and its never lit up in the 3 weeks I have owned the car so I presume that its permanently set to the off position. I then found another 15 amp fuse that I could do without for a while, which is the cigarette lighter fuse and it still blew when I plugged that in.

EDIT 2:
    Also, I dont have a fuse in socket #14, but I assume that is because I have an electric sunroof so the central locking is moved to socket #38.

I was advised on another forum that the spring loaded switch for the front interior light may be shorting the circuit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Something's short circuiting, I'd suggest an auto electrician TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

All solved now.

I popped off the sunroof motor cover and checked the switch for front interior light and low and behold an inch long piece of copper came out with ease. It must have come loose.

Nothing is shorting now.
    Thanks for the reply

Advertisement