Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IATI decision...?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

ive been trying to decide if i should do IATI this year and its gettin down to crunch time now...anyone done it who can give me some advice?

i never did accounting in school and so am worried id find it difficult...is there a good pass rate for the exams? alot of money to be spendin if ye get nothing out of it at the end..

how hard was it to fit in enough study time around a full time job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

Hi,

I have studied the Iati, I'm actually coming back to finish it this year after many MANY years of a break having kids. I just have one more exam to do. I've been emailing them all week with various questions and they have been very helpful.

You don't have to sit all the subjects at once so could stagger out the stress of exams, which is what I did as you have a maximum of 6 years to complete it. I managed to fit it in around a full time job.

It is a good all rounder for accountancy as you learn stuff that you will actually use in work. Don't forget though that you will need two years work experience to complete the course

Also you could claim back some of the cost of the course on your tax.

I've not even finished the course and I've become a management accountant from it, and I was so bad at accountancy at school! It would also mean you would become exempt from certain subjects if you wanted to go on to study CIMA or ACCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 funnygal

You should do the IATI course i never did accounting for my leaving certificate and i found that it gave a good basis and a general knowledge of the accounting system in ireland it also gives you great opportunities to progress to further fields of accounting and finance areas. I found that the course was very good and although there is a lot if you dont let it get you too boggled down and keep up to date on work you should be fine!
    If you are going to be doing the course part time in the evenings or even days may i suggest you maybe work in an area of accounting as most practices will pay your fees(college registration, books, exam fees, membership to iati etc.) and you will also be gaining experience along with helping you with your studies!! hope this helps!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

I think IATI is a good qualification to have, and provides avenues to other accounting qualifications.

Griffith College run IATI programmes in Dublin (www.gcd.ie/iati), Cork (www.griffithcork.com) and Limerick(www.gcl.ie)

I note the IATI have recently rebranded themselves Accounting Technicians ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

I'm going into my second year of this course. I do it two nights a week at a local college. It is a good qualification, there seems to be no end of jobs that you are qualified to do at the end of the course.

Research where you are going to do the course, a lot of places offering the part time course use piss poor lecturers. I'm talking from experience here. My lecturers were awful, they just stood at the top of the class and read from the manual. A lot of these part time 'lecturers' are only teaching because it counts for their 'continuous professional development' when they belong to an accounting body. So beware!

The only experience I had of accountancy before was a very basic day long book-keeping course. I managed to get a full time job in an accountancy practice though.

A lot of what I'm learning in the course is a waste because everything in work is computerised, but it does give you an better understanding into the way things work.

There is a huge amount that you have to learn, there is no way you can wing it -especially with the business management. You just have to put the time in and learn it, which can be difficult with full time job, 2 kids, a husband, dog and an addiction to the internet.

That saying, I did pass all my exams first time (mainly due to the revision seminars). I think if you commit yourself to putting in an a couple of hours every evening that you are not at lectures you will keep up with the course, and not have to cram like crazy in the last week before exams, like I did.

A big downside is the amount of money that you will have to spend, €240 for manuals, I think €150 registration, exam fees, tuition fees and then the revision seminars if you choose to do them (they are worth it). I didn't want my work to pay for it because I didn't want to be tied to them.

Although this year accounting technicians ireland is offering a staggered payments system, which will be a help.

Hope this helps you, if you have anyother q's please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jennyr

Hi
    I'm also considering doing the accounting technician's course in Limerick. I have a 6 month old son and am only returning to work next week so I'm really not certain if I can commit the time needed to the course. I know that you have 6 years to complete, does that mean that I can seperate the 2 years or that you have 6 years to take the exams.

Those of you who are doing or have done the course, is there a lot of assignments or is it mainly exam based.

If anyone has any experience of doing a course in Limerick, can you please message me privately?

Finally, can anyone tell me the difference between the IATI course and the CAT course (certified accounting technicians)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Jennyr wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a 6 month old son and am only returning to work next week so I'm really not certain if I can commit the time needed to the course.

You don't have to attend a course. Lots of people just buy the books and take it from there. You can buy study kits with CDs and DVDs to help you along. You can also do distance learning courses where you have access to a tutor whenever you need help. Better than sitting in a lecture if you ask me.

BPP Publishing do the books as well as Foulks Lynch i think. All the above applies to CAT. I don't know about IATI

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Hi
    I'm also considering doing the accounting technician's course in Limerick. I have a 6 month old son and am only returning to work next week so I'm really not certain if I can commit the time needed to the course.

Honestly, I would forget about it for at least a year. It takes up way too much time. Enjoy your baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jennyr

Yes, you're probably right. I have a business degree from UL so was kinda hoping I wouldn't find the first year too hard and that it would ease me back into study.

Just afraid if I don't start now I never will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I have a business degree

You should enquire about getting exemptions from some exams in IATI or CAT so. Quicken things up a bit for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neve

I did the IATI exams last year. I had a previous BA so applied for exemptions and got exempt from the complete first year, which made it so much quicker.
    I paid to attend the evening classes twice a week as I was working full time but to be honest I probably only attend 10% of them. I only did the Tax and Accountancy seminars and they completely saved me.
    I did find if quite expensive in teh short term but you have to look at the bigger picture. I gave me a good all round knowledge of tax / accountancy rules / company law etc, and since i finished the course have gotten a promotion at work which I definetely do think was helped by having the qualification.
    I don't think the exams were extremely hard or stressful. Getting exempt from the first year meant tax was quite challenging but put some work in and it'll be fine.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 webaholic

Hi
    I'm also considering doing the accounting technician's course in Limerick. I have a 6 month old son and am only returning to work next week so I'm really not certain if I can commit the time needed to the course. I know that you have 6 years to complete, does that mean that I can seperate the 2 years or that you have 6 years to take the exams.

Those of you who are doing or have done the course, is there a lot of assignments or is it mainly exam based.

If anyone has any experience of doing a course in Limerick, can you please message me privately?

Finally, can anyone tell me the difference between the IATI course and the CAT course (certified accounting technicians)?

Hi Jenny,

I was just wondering if you decided on the IATI course. I'm in Limerick also & i'm thinking of doing it for next year. Only 2 places do it. Griffith College & Limerick Senior College.

Will PM you also

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caroline...

Hi:confused:

Im thinking of doing accounting and finance (bbs)in LIT for 3 yrs, or else the IATI course,any one know which one would be better?would you have the same job prospects in both

advice please:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Phichno

Hi i am in the middle of doin my 2nd year in the I.A.T.I and i am finding it good i didnt do accountancy in school either.

i wanted to ask does anyone know what the exemptions are after the I.A.T.I if you want to go on to the ACCA?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TameraL

Hi if anybody is interested I have the following books at home available:

Accounting Collage Books for Sale:
    IATI Manuals in Financial Accounting, Business Management, Taxation and Law & Ethics.
    Irish Business Law by Aine Keenan,
    Financial Accounting 1- Study Manual
    Taxation 1 - Study Manual.

All very cheap- pm for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Hi guys,

Bit of help required here!! I'm thinking of doing a part time accountancy course in September and I was wondering is there a difference between the ACCA C.A.T course and the ATI course?? I have no experience in accounting but I know I'll like it.

So any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grldn

TameraL wrote: »
    Hi if anybody is interested I have the following books at home available:

Accounting Collage Books for Sale:
    IATI Manuals in Financial Accounting, Business Management, Taxation and Law & Ethics.
    Irish Business Law by Aine Keenan,
    Financial Accounting 1- Study Manual
    Taxation 1 - Study Manual.

All very cheap- pm for more info

How much for those books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lilly12

:confused:Has anyone completed the IATI Accounts Technician correspondence course with McKeon Murray? Is it difficult to complete this course without attending lecture classes? I’ve been out of the study environment for several years now. However, I’m working in an accounts position, but unfortunately, I have no qualifications. The difficulty I have is that I have to work late most evenings and would find it difficult to attend classes 2/3 times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stanleyc

i am interested in the ati year 2 books esp the financial accounting and business management manuals. How much are you selling them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

hi, just wondering whether the books are still for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lemke2

do you still have a books for sale and how much for all together thanks a lot;-) Magda:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement