Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Accommodation - Velux Window broke

Options
  • 03-08-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Myself and My fiancee have been renting in dundrum for the guts of 3 years and about 2 1/2 months ago when the weather was really hot we left our velux window open as the apartment gets really warm, when we came back it had been warped and wouldn't shut, we got onto our landlord and she said she'd have someone out next week, turns out they could just close it and nail it shut. We were then told this would be resolved the following week, This didnt happen, so then it turns out that no company the Landlord has gotten in touch with would fix it. She then found someone who would do it and then the management company said its up to us to fix it, then a quick change of heart last week said they would have someone contact me in the coming week which never happened i got back in touch with the landlord and asked was there an update and never got a proper reply, I'm now wondering can i with hold rent as this is our only window and it's getting ridiculous that this has been going on for almost 3 months. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Don't withhold rent, it'll go against your favour if you need to take it any further. Hopefully though you won't have to.
    Talk to your landlord and tell her it's been three months. Offer to get it sorted yourself (you shouldn't have to, but there you go), and that you'll pay for it out of the rent if she'll agree to that.
    If she's being cagey or just won't agree to anything, then contact the PRTB and see what they think. Try Threshold aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

thanks for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

allanb49 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Myself and My fiancee have been renting in dundrum for the guts of 3 years and about 2 1/2 months ago when the weather was really hot we left our velux window open as the apartment gets really warm, when we came back it had been warped and wouldn't shut..

On the off chance. I'd be surprised if a Velux warped in the sun given that it's designed to operate as a rooflight in fuller sun conditions than you get in Ireland. Is there any chance that you're first closing the locking bar and then trying to fully close the window? If so (and it's possible of the locking bar is operating very freely) then it has no chance of shutting properly.

Make sure you're closing the window before the locking bar snaps over into the lock position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

we where told by the guy who nailed it shut it wasnt put in properly and it was a very old design 20 years dunno how true that is, but what happened was we went out for the day and when came back on the right hand side felt like it was catching in something, left the window open loads of times this wide before, less than half open, and when the maintanence guy came out he tried to close it and heard wood splintering and pretty much said well thats ****ed you need a new one. I got onto the landlord again today and was told she'd give a call at lunch time.....
    So gonna hound her again tomorrow, we dont have the money to replace it ourselves mind you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you spoken to the PRTB/Threshold yet?

You don't need to have the money to replace it yourself, you just have to tell the landlord you're getting it sorted and taking the price out of the rent.

Chances are that will get her to do it herself. But contact PRTB/Threshold first and get their advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement