Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest way to get a high roof commercial van return to France?.

Options
  • 03-08-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the cheapest route and company to deal with for taking a high roof Transit return to France? Ferry companies won't quote on line for these rates for larger commercial vehicles. Anyone familiar? Journey would be this month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Are you sure you cant get a quote for the transit online? Most ferry companies have a cut off point of 6.5 metres, anything longer being charged freight rates. I found the difference to be unreal, 6.5 metre van €350, 7 metre €850.

Try LD Lines. I managed to book a 7 meter long van with them on another occasion without any trouble. Good value too. Off season, le Havre to Wexford, all in €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Irish Ferries won't book a Ford Transit on line, they classify it as a freight vehicle and gave up trying to call their help desk. Other option is to travel via UK.

LD just quoted e662 Return from Rosslare to La Havre.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Must be because its peak season. When I was pricing back in April it was possible to book transit sized vans.

I had trouble ringing the freight phone number too. I think I rang an office in the UK who gave me another number.

I bboked on as freight because someone told me I would not get on otherwise but on the day bigger vans went on with the private vehicles.

Advertisement