Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need to transfer the insurance or am I covered?

Options
  • 03-08-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭

Sorry to have to re-hash a common question here but can't find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I have my full license (I'm over 35 also) and I am a named driver on my girlfriends insurance policy (full comprehensive) for the newer car (hers). I am needing to bring my own older car (insurance with another company expired couple months ago) down home to have it NCT'd once more etc. but don't know if I am covered to drive this car or would my missus have to transfer the insurance for the day?

Would like to do it today but can't get through to Zurich insurance to find out the correct details so if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

On a side note, I have no intention of driving until I know for definite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You are normally not covered to drive any other car if you are a named driver even if the other car is insured. Your girlfriend would be insured to drive other cars if they were insured but even she would not be insured to drive your car as it has no insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    You are normally not covered to drive any other car if you are a named driver even if the other car is insured. Your girlfriend would be insured to drive other cars if they were insured but even she would not be insured to drive your car as it has no insurance policy.

Thanks for the reply. Would you advise the insurance being transferred from one car to the other for the day then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - I'm afraid you will have to transfer either your own or your GF's insurance onto your old car. Your own insurance may cover you to drive other cars, but only provided the car in question is not owned by or leased to you. This should be clarified on your ins certificate. I'd imagine your GF would be covered TP to drive your old car as it's not owned by her, but you'd need to make sure that she has the driving other cars extension on her policy. Do Zurich have an online service? I'm with Hibernian, and I can do a temporary transfer of insurance online free of charge - if you can do this then it would allow you to do the drive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - I'm afraid you will have to transfer either your own or your GF's insurance onto your old car. Your own insurance may cover you to drive other cars, but only provided the car in question is not owned by or leased to you. This should be clarified on your ins certificate. I'd imagine your GF would be covered TP to drive your old car as it's not owned by her, but you'd need to make sure that she has the driving other cars extension on her policy. Do Zurich have an online service? I'm with Hibernian, and I can do a temporary transfer of insurance online free of charge - if you can do this then it would allow you to do the drive today.

Cheers Anan, Zurich do have an online transfer but when I checked it out earlier today it was one that they would get back to you after you submit the online applications. Seeing as it was a holiday I didn't attempt, will do so tomorrow.

Advertisement