Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 polo question

Options
  • 03-08-2009 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi, i have a 00 polo hatch 1.0. i want to replaced the timing belt and water pump, are they difficult, if i just take off the cover, change the belt and pump, cous i saw it is much esay to take them off than other cars.
    but what is tension means.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they are difficult to replace and not something for most DIYers and if you get it wrong then your engine may well be knackred!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Not just a simple matter of taking one off and whacking the other one on. There is timing involved in it and the belt will have to be set on a certain way as such. Also tensioners are pretty much what it says on the tin and you should ensure you have the belt tensioned correctly. No doubt a savvy DIYer could tackle the job themselves but if you are unsure it is definately best to leave this one to the experts. Make sure to shop around well when you are pricing the job and let the garages know you are shopping around to get the best price when you are doing so.

Also I bought my last timing belt kit from the UK through ebay and saved a small fortune. Now not every garage will be happy with you buying the parts yourself but many won't mind too, so best to check first (as long as you make sure you get the correct parts... refer to engine code on log book). Also going down this route if you are sending a cheque or a draft like I did, best to allow up two weeks from when you send off draft till when you have parts (the draft or cheque will take at least three working days to clear). Hope this helps

Advertisement