Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smart Cars

Options
  • 03-08-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

What do you people think of smart cars?

Anybody drive one? Or knows anyone that drives a smart car. What are they like to drive.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

kbannon wrote: »

And trust Clarkson to rev up the British youth into doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i thought that was a joke on top gear:eek:

yup bad idea to mention that on english tv:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One problem with Smart cars in Ireland is that they hold their prices too well. They're much, much cheaper in the UK and the VRT is low enough You'd get an '03 for about €4150 inc VRT, a snip compared to over here.

One good thing is that all FourTwo's are automatic, i.e, an electromechanical clutch so no worrying about what gear you're in. They can also be used as a semiauto, which gets rid of the slightly jerky auto changes (unless you liftoff to help it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hey, I think they are fab. My friend has one. Are you looking at the smart "fortwo"? They are suprisingly spacious inside and quite zippy. Only 600cc engine so not great for long journeys but brilliant for city driving. One weird little thing- the front and back wheels are different sizes so you don't have a spare wheel in case you get a puncture. There is some foam stuff in a can you can buy though, for a puncture emergency. They are super cheap to run and tax though expensive enough to buy, even in the recession and all that.

I think go for it! I love them and you can park them straight in, even in a horizontal space- so cool!!!! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have rented a few and they are great for parking and around town. The auto gearbox is not great ( a bit jerky during the gear changes). If you want a little car I would go for a Fiat 500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Brother has one, he lives in the North and got it handy in the UK, great to drive, deceivingly spacious inside and quite nippy. Roof folds back automatically at any speed unlike other convertibles. RE tossing them into canals, easy solution, lock and decent size chain around tow hook or drive shaft.

Advertisement