Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hun

Options
  • 03-08-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Barry O D

I havent really studied this subject too much, however i do have a few thoughts on their legacy or how they altered the shape of europe itself. Firstly they caused the fall of many nations and this had a profound effect on the status quo of the europe at the time. They contributed hugely to the fall of the roman empire as the already crumbling empire suffered such a huge blow from the invasion.
    As for attilla his legacy would mainly be uniting the huns and creating one of the largest empires ever to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think influence of the Huns under Attila is significant but not great.
    Him and his allies only bothered Europe and the Western Roman Empire for a number of years before retreating after facing an alliance army of Romans and Goths at Chalons.
    He died a few years after being persuaded to abort his invasion of Italy.The Hunnic Empire imploded shortly afterwards due to warring factions struggling for mastery.
    The Western Roman Empire was already in steady decline and Rome itself would fall not three decades after the death of Attila.
    Attilas main legacy is that of legendary boogeyman.Called the 'Scourge of God' his alleged evil-doing was used to compare with the ascendant Roman Catholic church which was professing to be the voice of righteousness.

Advertisement