Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with petty behaviour

Options
  • 02-08-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭

I run the definitive dublin walking tour and i came across this by another rival walking tour company.

http://walking-tour-dublin.com/

'Definitive walking tour of Dublin

The Definitive Dublin Walking Tour: What is the definitive walking tour of Dublin?

There are so many good walking tours of Dublin it is very difficult to choose a definitive tour. What is it good for? Perfect if you are relatively fit, like getting some fresh air and want to know more about the city in an in depth manner, which can also reach places that buses could never get. The free walking tour Dublin is also good if you are cash strapped.

All in all walking tours Dublin offers a great range of sites and information that will keep everyone happy as long as they don’t mind a bit of walking!

Book a Definitive walking tour of Dublin now
    '

Do i have any rights regarding it? I will send a polite email requesting they delete/rephrase and refrain from doing their business in such a manner. It seems extremely petty to me.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm failing to see what's petty.
    They have praised your business

And of course people who go on a walking tour don't mind a bit of walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

do you have some sort of divine right on the phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

No i dont have any divine right to it and i realise that but it's just tacky and low for them to do it. At the bottom of the page it directs to their own site and they are trying to piggyback sales on my tours name.

ronano wrote: »
    No i dont have any divine right to it and i realise that but it's just tacky and low for them to do it. At the bottom of the page it directs to their own site and they are trying to piggyback sales on my tours name.

maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but all i can see is you both use the word "definitive" why is yours more definitive than theirs?

or is there more to this that I don't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

get in contact with them and join together then yis will be the definite walk and get the name protected quids in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's an SEO keyword stuffed domain name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It seems extremely petty to me.

Any advice?

If I were you I would be pretty pissed off with what they have done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Do you have any trademark protection on the name? You can claim a trademark by just putting a little TM after the name... but not sure you can do that retrospectively. Talk to a trademark attorney maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

ntlbell wrote: »
    maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but all i can see is you both use the word "definitive" why is yours more definitive than theirs?

or is there more to this that I don't see.

OP's business is called Definitive Walking Tours, and this other company called Hidden Dublin have put up the page purposely loading it up with the word "Definitive" so that people who google for "Definitive Walking Tours" will find their site. Quite petty and underhanded if you ask me.

Cianos wrote: »
    OP's business is called Definitive Walking Tours, and this other company called Hidden Dublin have put up the page purposely loading it up with the word "Definitive" so that people who google for "Definitive Walking Tours" will find their site. Quite petty and underhanded if you ask me.

I don't understand why people get upset about things like this.

It's all a game, if you don't want to play don't come to the playground.

all the technique's SEO or otherwise are available two both players here, one is taken advantage, it doesn't matter how "cheap" it is or "petty" if it has the desired affect.

I'm reminded of the sweep throw in street fighter, don't whine about him throwing you, defend against it.

in this case get creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's an SEO keyword stuffed domain name

Cant say that I'd agree with that TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

ntlbell wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get upset about things like this.

It's all a game, if you don't want to play don't come to the playground.

all the technique's SEO or otherwise are available two both players here, one is taken advantage, it doesn't matter how "cheap" it is or "petty" if it has the desired affect.

I'm reminded of the sweep throw in street fighter, don't whine about him throwing you, defend against it.

in this case get creative.
    Agree 100000%. Some naive people out there feel they have a definitive "claim" over certain search keywords. You can't copyright, trademark or otherwise a combination of words and the same goes online. Competition is a harse reality in any "walk" of life-its how you are proactive that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Cant say that I'd agree with that TBH.

I agree with RedCardinal
    Morlar wrote: »
    If I were you I would be pretty pissed off with what they have done there.

Why? How can he be pissed off - they haven't broken any laws

How is it low? They dont appear to have done anything wrong.

On the flip side of the coin: You've stated that you don't have any trademark or other IP protection device to make a claim on it.

Secondly, who accorded you the right of being "The Definitive Tour" ? If you were handed some exclusive deal from the Irish Government or Dublin City, maybe you'd have a point...

There's an important point here: companies make claims about themselves - we make the tastiest pork rasher, we make the best pork rasher, we have the most authentic pork rasher, we are the pork rasher company, we are the oldest pork rasher company. It's a marketing statement.

I dont see anything different.

Another issue, is that you've not tried to protect your name, idea and branding - which is fine - but you can't go and wrap other people up over it. In fact, you've made some allegations that you might want to reverse on as being in your opinion versus a fact.

Advertisement