Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit tear

Options
  • 02-08-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I was a bit eager to get into the water at lahinch today and managed to tear the lower leg of my wetsuit(approx 2 inches).Has anybody any recommendations on fixing it? A quick google search came up with stuff called black witch,does anyone know if its any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Aquasure? [if my memory is correct]. I think its a lot better than Blackwitch.
    Found this; www.littlepinkshop.com/shop/aquasure-wetsuit-canvas-rubber-repair-glue-p-968.html[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I'd go with the black witch.. aquasure is grand for sticking materials such as Plastics, or repairing materials that drysuits are made from... Black witch is actually a liquid neoprene.

best advice to fix a tear is firstly dry the suit out.

try put the tear back together as neatly as possible (i.e. put each side of the tear side by side) and stick some strong masking tape or duck tape over it to hold it together.

Carefully turn the suit inside out. If you have sand paper give each side of the neoprene a quick little sand. Make sure the tear is clean. Fill it with black witch. Then stitch. When stitching try not to put the needle all the way through the suit (for a start you don't want to stitch the duck tape to your suit). Try get the needle and thread to only come half way through the neoprene. What I mean by this is if the suit is 3mm thick, you only want the needle and thread to go in about 1 1/2 mm. Put plenty of stitches in and it will hold.

If you are still in Lehinch, you should be able to pick up some black witch in Tom's. If not I know that they have some in the Dive centre in Kilkee. Prob cost between 5-8 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Cheers for the replies especially loctite for going into such detail.I e-mailed kingofwatersports.com as I only bought the suit from them in May to see if they could do anything for me,not expecting much as it was entirely my own fault but sure i'll see what they say anyway.If nothing happens i'll get the black witch,i'm living in limerick so maybe they'll have it in tubes,if not then lahinch isn't too far away

Advertisement