Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejecting offers

Options
  • 02-08-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Yo! I'm currently having a change of mind about the course I want to do. Let's say I get offered a course in round one and reject it, will I be offered the same course in round two or the next one on my CAO, if I meet standards and whatnot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

When you get offered a course, every course below that on your cao is cancelled from your application, as you have told the CAO that you want this course more. So say you got offered your second choice, there's no way you can move down the list to your third or fourth choice in the second round, only up to your first!

If you reject your offer in round one you will not be offered it again in round 2, why would you be if you've just rejected it?!

I'm assuming you know this already, but if you get offered, for example, your second choice in round 1, and accept it, you're still in the running for round 2 and you could still be offered your first choice, despite having accepted a course already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

What I was trying to say was that if I rejected the offer sent, would I be offered the one below it on my CAO in round two.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What I was trying to say was that if I rejected the offer sent, would I be offered the one below it on my CAO in round two.
    No.

Read the reply from banjopaul again.

The only way you could get an offer in Round 2 is if you were offered your second choice (or below) in Round 1 ... IF you qualified for a higher choice in Round 2 you would be offered it.

You will NEVER be offered the same choice or a lower one in a subsequent round.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Could I make a suggestion to the mods? Could it be a possible for ye to make a CAO FAQ? While I have done my LC over two years ago but I visit here a few times a week to see if I can ever answer any questions, but I thred to see the same CAO questions over and over again...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Could I make a suggestion to the mods? Could it be a possible for ye to make a CAO FAQ? While I have done my LC over two years ago but I visit here a few times a week to see if I can ever answer any questions, but I thred to see the same CAO questions over and over again...
    You have a point, I've noticed the same thing myself.

That said, everyone gets a copy of the CAO handbook, and if they won't bother reading that, I'm not sure they would bother reading a FAQ either ... plus I'd worry a little about Boards putting up a FAQ on CAO stuff in case any error would creep in and confuse someone, definitely not something we want to see happen.

What I have done for the moment though is to put up a sticky with a link to the online handbook, and quoting the bit about how offers work, which seems to be the issue which comes up most often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ok now i'm worried, I've changed my mind about my course. I don't want my number 1 but do want my number 2. What happens if i get offered number 1 which I more than likely will?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Skyuser wrote: »
    Ok now i'm worried, I've changed my mind about my course. I don't want my number 1 but do want my number 2. What happens if i get offered number 1 which I more than likely will?

If you get your first choice you're stuck with it I'm afraid!

But I don't want it. If I have enough points for 1 and 2, do I get offered both and given a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

No you only get offered your first choice if you have enough points for it. After that you don't get a choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Skyuser wrote: »
    But I don't want it. If I have enough points for 1 and 2, do I get offered both and given a choice?

No, in that scenario you'll only be offered No.1.
    This is why it's stressed every year to put your choices in order of preference

Now if you filled out both the Level 8 and the Level 6/7 options on your CAO, then you'll have a choice between your highest preference Level 8 course and your highest preference Level 6/7 course. But you'll never have a choice between 1 and 2 if they're both Level 8 or they're both Level 6/7. You'll ONLY be offered one course from each.

• Advertisement

This is not good, is there nothing I can do. If I reject my first choice do i just not go to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If you want your 2nd choice but you get your 1st choice and reject it, I'm afraid all you'll have to apply for the CAO next year with your 2nd choice as Number 1.

This has totally ruined my plans.....

x

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Sorry dude, but this is how the system works. On the upside, you could spend the year doing a course online with eCollege or get a job so you can have cash for when you get into uni!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

ok so if i get offered my 4th choice or so (which is more than likely after seeing my points) on the first round offers but i wanna still see if there's a chance of getting one of my first 3, do i accept this in the first round offers and basically just pray to god that i get offered one of them 3 in 2nd round? and if i do accept the 2nd round offer, do i have to notify the course provider that i changed my mind and wanna reject the 1st round offer?

Advertisement