Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be rich?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

What's it like to be rich?

I'm sure the majority of others here are in a similar situation to myself. Paying a mortgage / loan / bills etc etc - and have a monthly income that allows you to do that - but not a whole lot else...

What would it be like to not have to worry about money? Say you wake up one morning and decide - "I think I'd like to get some new clothes today" - and just go and buy whatever you want. Or "Maybe I'll go away for a couple of weeks" - and be able to head off on the spur of the moment to where ever you want; without having to worry about the cost..

Are there really many people in Ireland today in that position? Or are lots of people just living beyond their means? It must be a great feeling to not have to consider affordability or cost - would it be a weight off your mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Being rich is such a relative thing.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

galwayrush wrote: »
    Being rich is such a relative thing.:rolleyes:

Like when they leave you money?

Silverfish wrote: »

That's what i'm hoping for.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Where there's a will, there's a relative.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

\*will kill for toothpaste*/

• Advertisement

\*will kill for toothpaste*/

Dr. Bollocko is looking for a contract killer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not rich myself, but one's things for sure money won't make you happy.
    Other facts about money, just because you're getting more money doesn't necessarily mean you're better, and vice versa for if you're getting less money.

Being rich is nothing but materials : happiness is found through relaxation of the mind, the easiest way being through helping others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's not bad.
    With the recession I have had to downgrade to 20euro notes to wipe my arse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I wouldnt like to be super rich but I would love to be comfortable, live in a nice house in a nice area, drive a decent car(I wouldnt go rushing out to buy a Masserati/Lamborghini or anything like that)and be able to go on hols with my family once a year without having to worry bout the bills at home. Id still work part time to get out of the house. A nice 4 bed house with games room with be nice, ohhhh and to open my wardrobe & have rows of shoes, shelves full of bags, and not have to think s*it the blouse I like is on the line cause Id have 7 of everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Malty_T wrote: »
    Not rich myself, but one's things for sure money won't make you happy.
    Other facts about money, just because you're getting more money doesn't necessarily mean you're better, and vice versa for if you're getting less money.

Being rich is nothing but materials : happiness is found through relaxation of the mind, the easiest way being through helping others.

Just to clarify, I don't want to be thought of as some greedy, money hungry cnut! I'm a nice guy, kind and generous to everyone - I suppose what I'm really wondering is: how good it would feel to have no financial worries - ie being able to concentrate on things that make you and those around you happy.

For example - a while back myself and the O/H had tickets to see a show (she had got them for my birthday) and we thought it would be nice to go for a meal first, to complete the evening! - But we didn't, as we couldn't afford to spend money on a meal.. Just simple things like that

• Advertisement

Since i got a final demand from the tax man for money and interest / penalties added that i simply don't have, yes, i wouldn't mind being rich right now.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Money would totally make me happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

In most scenarios, money brings choice and choice is a major contributor to happiness in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Money would totally make me happy.

And if the money did not make me happy, I can guarantee you that the things that the money can buy will make me happy. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It used to be money for me, now its just seeing my kids and wife are ok.
    Money can go to hell - it can be replaced. Other more precious things can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

What's it like to be rich?

I'm sure the majority of others here are in a similar situation to myself. Paying a mortgage / loan / bills etc etc - and have a monthly income that allows you to do that - but not a whole lot else...

Are there really many people in Ireland today in that position? Or are lots of people just living beyond their means? It must be a great feeling to not have to consider affordability or cost - would it be a weight off your mind?

I think a lot of people have a tendency to live just exactly at their means or a bit beyond it,
    ya know the biggest house they could reasonably afford, buy a new car when the old one is still going, having lots of kids, etc.

even the people with a disposable income don't know what to do with it and end up going to overpriced cocktail bars and expensive restaurants. saving money is not the done thing

if you want to do something out of the ordinary you have to spend a while scraping together a bit of cash while not having anything to show for it immediately, most people just can't do that anymore, as soon as they get a pay rise they must buy something on credit

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Being rich is doing what you want to do and not having to worry about the decision financially. tbh its a relative term. Youd be rich enough to go out on a saturday night and to hell with the consequences, but not rich enough to buy a house in fiji on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

SV wrote: »
    It's not bad.
    With the recession I have had to downgrade to 20euro notes to wipe my arse though.
    I truly feel for you. The 50s are still going well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

having savings, no mortgage, no loans and a job ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Biggins wrote: »
    It used to be money for me, now its just seeing my kids and wife are ok.
    Money can go to hell - it can be replaced. Other more precious things can't.

I agree but money is still very important, what if you and your wife lost your jobs and money tomorrow? and were jobless for months, have fun with your precious things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rich to me would simply be able to live comfortably without having to depend on the labour market. As said already, it's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You're all liars.

Everyone would like to be rich.

I wish I was loaded, I could go out whenever I want and get my damn roof fixed.
    I don't give a toss if money doesn't bring happiness, it would certainly put me in a better mood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

A lot of you sound like do gooders. I want to be filthy Rich. No worries about money . Spend thousands on what ever I want and not have to think about it . Id sort out my family and future children and make sure I only have pennys left on my death bed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

SV wrote: »
    It's not bad.

You know, that may be a false economy you have got going there.

A €50 note is bigger, has more texture, is more durable and is therefore better for the old arse wiping whereas a €20 note is not.

It might take 3 €20 notes to do the same work as one €50 so think carefully...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You know what they say, where theres a will theres a....

Relative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hmmm, maybe you should have kept reading the thread before clicking the "post reply" button.... Long beaten to it my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Overheal wrote: »
    Being rich is doing what you want to do and not having to worry about the decision financially. tbh its a relative term. Youd be rich enough to go out on a saturday night and to hell with the consequences, but not rich enough to buy a house in fiji on a whim.

the former is where im at. I can buy extra rounds and not think about the money, I own more shoes than feet and the postman brings me presents wrapped in parcels a minimum of once a week.

doesnt feel too special, I work hard for what I earn. Still cant afford a nice boat and something to tow it with.

I have a lot of stuff, decent savings which are growing and not a single debt. but I still wouldnt call myself rich. Its not really a line you cross I dont think. Id think its damn near impossible to have NO financial worries.

A guy i know moved over to california, sold his business for the bones of a million sterling and got about another 400k dollars in "welcome to the business" type bonuses. 45k bonuses quarterly and a hefty salary on top of course. and he still has loads of money worries. Id imagine bill gates does nothing but worry about money most of his day

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Well, I don't care too much for money... Money can't buy me love!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If I had enough money, I would like to see what it would be like to do my job without the constant fear of what the consequences would be if I told the boss to fick off for yet another unreasonable request. Imagine being able to tell him, 'No' when he makes another dumbass decision, knowing you could tell him to shove his job if it comes to it.

Advertisement