Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Refund for Mature Student

Options
  • 02-08-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My Girlfriend is starting a postgrad in NUI Galway at the beginning of September.

She is 27 and has been working for the past 6 years, some body told me that she could apply for a refund of all taxes paid this year to date - does anybody know anything else about this?

She has got everything together for the grant and its looking positive, so fingers crossed :-) If there are any other grants or relief that she could be eligble, it would be great to know about them too.

Thanks,

Jugs82

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Not exactly - if she doesn't work at all in Sep, Oct, Nov & Dec, that 1/3 of the year's tax credits she won't have used up. It used to be the case that she could sign a declaration that she will not be working for the rest of the year as she will be a full time student and the tax credits for 2009 will be applied for the first 8 months and she will probably get some tax back. Unless she had a fairly low income she will not get all her tax back. She could wait for the end of the year in case she does work again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Thanks, that makes sense

She won't be working in Sept, Oct, Nov or Dec as its a pretty intensive course

Do you know how she would go about making this declaration?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Sorry - don't remember for sure, prob best to ring them and ask them the procedure, in case there is a form to be signed and the whole thing will be delayed further. I think I just wrote to them with the P45 from leaving work and stating that I would not be returning for the remainder of the tax year and therefore requesting a refund of tax based on unused credits when I was in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

yes she can claim her tax to date back , she will have to wait 4 weeks from end of employment ,just tell her to go into the tax office and get the claim form fill it in ,on it put down that she is returning to college and that she will not be working and submit it with her p45 .have just done it and they told me that i will get it in stages ,the first payment in 2 weeks and then again after another 4 weeks you go in and apply again.you don't get it all back but most .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Sorry to jump in here, but Thanks very much for this.
    Im the same boat as your GF Jugs, leaving work to go back to a full time postgrad.
    Are there any other things that we need to be aware of in terms of tax, BIK, anything else?

Im totally clueless when it comes to this.
    Thanks
    J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Girlfriend is applying for the rent supplement as her only income from September will be her Grant, so thats something to look at

Advertisement