Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uk motorists face a £350 tax just for parking their cars at work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did you ever hear an English person complaining about the car tax they pay, 120 odd quid and they think its ridiculous, wait till they hear this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I was talking to my cousin's husband about the proposed €200 parkng space tax recently (he iis fairly senior in the Revenue here), and here are a few interesting points he made as to why it will never happen in its current guise:
    - the overheads required to administer the scheme would be about 4 times more than the scheme would bring in. He says it would have to be €1,000 before it would actually be worth while collecting
    - the way it is currently written EVERYONE who works in a company in the designated areas would be liable for the charge. It includes those that don't have a first-come first-serve company car park, I.e. Not a guaranteed car parking space. Worse again the way it is written even those that don't drive to work or cannot even drive at all would be included! It currently stays that all "who have access to" a parking space.
    - the designated areas are not fully defined either.
    - the good old Civil Service union reps would not allow their membes be sbjected to a further €1,000 "pay cut" so I think the rest are safe enough for the foreseeable future.

On a interesting side note if they did get their act together & implement the parking tax how would it work out for those that joined the "cycle to work" scheme? Say for example one was to join the scheme only cycle to work once or twice, give it up as a bad idea & return to driving to work. How is the revenue to know you are driving? They don't have "cycle to work" inspectors! So presmably then if you did sign up for the cycle to work scheme you could avoid liability for the parking charge (hypotethically speaking of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Oneunited

On a interesting side note if they did get their act together & implement the parking tax how would it work out for those that joined the "cycle to work" scheme? Say for example one was to join the scheme only cycle to work once or twice, give it up as a bad idea & return to driving to work. How is the revenue to know you are driving? They don't have "cycle to work" inspectors! So presmably then if you did sign up for the cycle to work scheme you could avoid liability for the parking charge (hypotethically speaking of course).

Cycle to work scheme is irrelevant here. Many who cycle to work do not do it every day. If you still have access to a parking space, the tax will be applied (if it ever is finally introduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hang on, this is a charge being levied on companies here, not necessarily their employees, and is designed to discourage companies from providing parking places for their staff. The employers can do what they want to recoup those costs, including but not limited to charging their emplyees for the use of the places, but they don't have to. They have a similar scheme in the Netherlands, but AFAIK was limited on introduction to new office builds, and only within a certain radius of the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

I work in a hospital in Essex and every member of staff already have to pay £30 a month to park its automatically taken out of your wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Alun wrote: »
    Hang on, this is a charge being levied on companies here, not necessarily their employees, and is designed to discourage companies from providing parking places for their staff. The employers can do what they want to recoup those costs, including but not limited to charging their emplyees for the use of the places, but they don't have to. They have a similar scheme in the Netherlands, but AFAIK was limited on introduction to new office builds, and only within a certain radius of the city centre.

As far as I know the tax proposed here are on the EMPLOYEE.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As far as I know the tax proposed here are on the EMPLOYEE.
    I know that. I was just pointing out that the system in the UK is that it's the employers that pay, not the employees unlike what RTDH's post inferred. The 'here' in my post was a reference to the article referred to, not 'here' as in Ireland :)

Advertisement