Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cars with engine conversions/mods, how do they pass the NCT emissions

Options
  • 01-08-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm just wondering how a car with a bigger or modified engine installed :Dwould pass the NCT without failing on the emissions test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi i'm just wondering how a car with a bigger or modified engine installed :Dwould pass the NCT without failing on the emissions test.

Bigger cc engines may have a problem alright. But the likes of remapped turbo both petrol and diesel shouldn't have a problem. Once the original cat or an aftermarket high flow cat is in place they should pass alright.

My own car has about 30% more power and torque and it passes fine, has a 200 cell sports cat in place of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I often see it when browsing used car ads, they might say 2.0 engine but 1.6 on the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

joeperry wrote: »
    I often see it when browsing used car ads, they might say 2.0 engine but 1.6 on the logbook.

Mostly jap imports. Some dealers were registering them as lower spec cars to pay less vrt and also so young driver could insure them easier...but that's another days work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The NCT emission test is not car specific i.e they don't drive in your VW golf and then type in VW golf on the computer to see what the emissions should be,it is based on PPM (parts per million) over three different categories

before 1986
    1986 - 1994
    94 onwards

The older cars are allowed higher levels than newer cars (obviously) 99% of engine conversions that i have seen would be pre 94 cars with post 94 engines so you would pass with flying colours.

How do i know all this? i was worried my own car would fail on emissions on the last test and i did a bit of reading up and got some advice fro ma guy who works in a DOE centre.

The car passed with flying colours : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

tossy wrote: »

before 1986
    1986 - 1994
    94 onwards

Are you sure those are the years, i had an nct in a 96 petrol car and the emissions co2 fail level was different (higher) than when i nct'd a 00 petrol car, all within a month. Maybe they just change the level during the intervening weeks. The only reason i remember is my 96 car passed but was over the emissions level stated on the 00 cars report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement