Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

00-02 Discovery

Options
  • 01-08-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

just wanted some opinions on the Discovery around the 00-02 year.

Ive never had a discovery but i like the fact they have a grand big rear door. No bother horsin in an auld mixer!

Just wondered what they were like reliabilty wise and also what they are like for pulling? Would it be able for a max of 2 and half tonne on a regular enough basis?

Like ive had hiluxs,pajeros and terranos and the like but im still searchin for a yoke that im completely happy with. Arent we all says you! The hilux has been my favourite down through the years with the only thing i dont like about it being the comfort, bouncy bouncy bouncy!!:D

Anyway if anyone has any advice or opinions re the disco id love to hear them.

Cheers

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Disco's are OK, a bit underpowered for towing 2500kg on a regular basis.
    Have you thought about a TLC? 2500kg would be easy for the 4.2. 80 or 100 series
    If you liked the Hilux now try the version with IFS and coils in the back:D
    KZJ90-95 should be got for handy money now. LWB probably better for towing that kind of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Better off with a post 02 Disco, earlier engine issues were sorted (oil in injector loom, leaking fuel pressure regulator etc). Also easier to re-tune for more poke as a post 02 one as it has a flashable ECU. Earlier ones should have been sorted under warranty, check for service history (unlikely here! :rolleyes:)

Discos are rated to tow 4 tonne and well capable of pulling, the TD5 likes lots of revs though. The anti stall and traction control make it doddle to start trailers in muddy conditions.

Ride wise it will be more comfortable than any Japanese 4x4 although I don't think commercial ones will have air suspension.

Can be either very reliable or a lemon, not much in between unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hey John,
    I've known of three people with a similar disco to the one you're on about and they all gave gearbox trouble. The first one had a new box after 2000 miles and the others after around 20,000 miles. They've all switched back to the Japs. I wouldn't be bothered to be honest. They seem like a bit of a ball of ****e to me but I'm sure some have given good service. Comfort is good but again ride comfort is great in any yolk when it can't move!

Gearbox trouble is unusual at low miles, I assume those were replaced under warranty. The R380 box is generally very reliable, other problem can be topping up with wrong oil, previous owner of mine had used EP90, should be MTF94 and I had to replace the box as result 25k later.

Probably wasting my breath constantly leaping to Land Rover's defence in Ireland! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

101sean wrote: »
    Gearbox trouble is unusual at low miles, I assume those were replaced under warranty. The R380 box is generally very reliable, other problem can be topping up with wrong oil, previous owner of mine had used EP90, should be MTF94 and I had to replace the box as result 25k later.

Probably wasting my breath constantly leaping to Land Rover's defence in Ireland! :D

No, these were all bought new. They gave other problems too the details of which I am not privy to. Says a lot when not one of the buyers is driving Landy now though don't you think? Anyway, as I said in my first post I'm sure lots have been faithful...

• Advertisement

That's the trouble all along, lousy dealer service and using customers to find faults has put many off never to return :rolleyes: Not a single farmer in my area drives one.

It's only loyal eejits like me who keep buying them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

I still have my 2001 discovery GS, and have had it from 6 months old. Now with 185,000 miles on the clock. I have had the following problems:
    2 lift pumps(in diesel tank) 1at 80K and the other at 130k €750
    rubber mounted pulley on end of crankshaft at 120K
    ABS sensors on front hubs ( ihave constant yellow lights flashing at me now) €800 garage
    ACE pipes at 155K €250 fit myself
    Currently putting in 4 new injectors.€1200+ fit myself

On the positive side, it gets plenty of towing work (have towed up to 2.5 ton) and off road hardship. Needs plenty of trottle. Body still looks pristine when washed (if washed). Wife loves driving it. Mine does 30-32 mpg copnsistantly. Starting to use a bit of oil. Worth nothing now, except when you want to buy one. Would personally like a Landcruiser Amazone, if I had the dosh, 4

Advertisement