Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hate the sound of their own voice?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I dont think Ive heard anyone say they like the sound of their own voice..Anytime I hear my voice on the phone or a video I cringe!!!!!!!!!:o:o
    Does anyone know the scientific reason why we hate the sound of our own voices?????????:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Might be because beauty is in the ear of the beholder .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Probably because every Irish person still pronounces words like they're only after learning the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I hated my voice when I was a wee youngin' before it broke, mainly because it sounded grand in my head but squeaky when played. Now though, I don't mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I dont think Ive heard anyone say they like the sound of their own voice..Anytime I hear my voice on the phone or a video I cringe!!!!!!!!!:o:o
    Does anyone know the scientific reason why we hate the sound of our own voices?????????:)

Because my voice sounds like this.

And unfortunately I look like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

If Im recording my son/dogs/snake/whatever I cannot stand hearing my own voice in the background......although Ive been told Its nice.....

• Advertisement

I think not liking the sound of your own voice is normal for many , as long as others do , that's the main thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I like the sound of my own voice when it works properly because then it sounds deep and awesome man to me. Unfortunately the ways of excess mucus have caused me to experience an inconsistency such that it tends to become weak and high pitched. That's when I hate hearing it. :(

I've been told my voice is actually very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's not so much the sound of their own voices, for most people it's the sudden realisation that they talk a lot of sh1te .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Probably because every Irish person still pronounces words like they're only after learning the English language.

I don't know if this is racist or ignorant?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have yet to meet a single person in a pub that hasn't loved hearing themselves talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kolo

Well, it's our second language after all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Elmo wrote: »

Neither, just the plain truth.:rolleyes:

I have yet to meet a single person in a pub that hasn't loved hearing themselves talk.
    Yea, everybodys talking but nobodys listening .Listening is an art form in itself .

''everybodys talking at me , I cant hear a word their saying , only the echos of my mind ''

galwayrush wrote: »
    Neither, just the plain truth.:rolleyes:

Really :confused: Perhaps we all have a little chip on or shoulder, telling us constantly that we aren't any good at anything. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Elmo wrote: »

Ignorant racism;)

As for nobody loving their own voice, what about Cristiano Ronaldo?.. he loves everything else about himself so why not his voice?:D

Think of any tv personality ,pop singer , movie star that doesn't like the sound of their own voice .Just stick a microphone in their gob and they are flying ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's because you're used to hearing it from inside your head and then when you heard it outside your head it sounds different.

Like seeing live music for the first time, it doesn't sound right. That, and you speak like a girl.

Ignorant racism;)

I try to use oxymora as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

I heard my voice on a dictaphone earlier this year. It wasnt so much my voice that annoyed me as my inability to finish a sentence without saying "Ya know?" or "like" which left me cringe ya know like?

Advertisement