Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if: Ireland in Fallout universe?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Not too sure if this is the correct section for this but sure hey :) My mate and I are currently working on building a fallout setting for Ireland for a possible RPG. I've been looking into Irish 1950s politics, maps and the like but it's still pretty tough. What would you think would be cool to include and why? According to the Fallout wiki at wikia, Europe was involved in a massive war with the middle east pre great war, so even if Ireland stayed neutral, it's likely most of the north would have been destroyed. Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

The year is 2012. The population of Ireland is 10 million. The current recession gets worse and Brian Cowen gets swine flu and soon dies. Brian Lenihan takes over as Taoiseach and brings a new reign of terror over Ireland. He is soon assassinated and the Dáil breaks up. Although most of Fianna Fáil breaks up, Fine Gael stays strong but only in small camps around the country, unknown to the general public. While small guerilla groups form in parts of Dublin and Galway, Northern Ireland is declared a free country, going under the name of Belfastland. The two countries collide in a bitter war for land, around the same time as the Resource Wars. After said war, the death rate in Ireland exceeds the birth rate and the population of the island falls sharply. By the year 2070, the population of Ireland is just under 1 million. While the country falls endlessly, Great Britain is growing economically. Current Prime Minister John Gormley Jr. decides to build 4 atomic bombs, unbeknownst to the public. One built in York, one near Edinburgh, another near Plymouth and one in Cardiff. The Cardiff bomb being the biggest, becomes unstable and explodes above the Irish Sea, leaving most of Dublin bay radioactive. Eventually, this radiation spreads through the Liffey. and throughout Dublin City. The Newcastle bomb hits Belfast, the Plymouth bomb hits the Kerry/Cork border and the York bomb hits Laois/Offaly. Ireland falls into deep depression as its population falls to 350,000, most of this being in Dublin and guerilla camps.

I wrote this ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Carnivorous sheep the size of a car are a must.

Some sort of rain cult, hoping to bring back the legends of constant water to make the blasted wasteland bloom again.

Supercows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    The year is 2012. The population of Ireland is 10 million. The current recession gets worse and Brian Cowen gets swine flu and soon dies. Brian Lenihan takes over as Taoiseach and brings a new reign of terror over Ireland. He is soon assassinated and the Dáil breaks up. Although most of Fianna Fáil breaks up, Fine Gael stays strong but only in small camps around the country, unknown to the general public. While small guerilla groups form in parts of Dublin and Galway, Northern Ireland is declared a free country, going under the name of Belfastland. The two countries collide in a bitter war for land, around the same time as the Resource Wars. After said war, the death rate in Ireland exceeds the birth rate and the population of the island falls sharply. By the year 2070, the population of Ireland is just under 1 million. While the country falls endlessly, Great Britain is growing economically. Current Prime Minister John Gormley Jr. decides to build 4 atomic bombs, unbeknownst to the public. One built in York, one near Edinburgh, another near Plymouth and one in Cardiff. The Cardiff bomb being the biggest, becomes unstable and explodes above the Irish Sea, leaving most of Dublin bay radioactive. Eventually, this radiation spreads through the Liffey. and throughout Dublin City. The Newcastle bomb hits Belfast, the Plymouth bomb hits the Kerry/Cork border and the York bomb hits Laois/Offaly. Ireland falls into deep depression as its population falls to 350,000, most of this being in Dublin and guerilla camps.

I wrote this ages ago.
    Wait, why did the british bomb us?
    Sarky wrote: »
    Carnivorous sheep the size of a car are a must.

Some sort of rain cult, hoping to bring back the legends of constant water to make the blasted wasteland bloom again.
    Haha, Rain cult, I like it
    H1tmonlii wrote: »
    Supercows?

Of coarse. Would it be awful to include half man, half sheep of unknown origon roaming the roscommon wastes? :p

History seems to change around the fifties in the Fallout universe, I was thinking in the War of Independence the treaty was never signed and it continued much longer. Due to economic strain and rising tensions (Paranoia big in Fallout) most british troops were withdrawn from the country which allowed IRA troops to have a much easier time of raiding munitions stores.Unionists saw this and took it upon themselves to defend the nation and a civil war occored. The IRA were defeated but most of the nation was embittered, and after the bombs hit and people raised their heads again, the fighting continued.
    Since Ireland has always been a bit ****e in the war-ing department there needs to be a good reason why there's lots of guns and ammo available, it would be somehow not as rewarding fighting with a spade and wheelbarrow for the whole time. Also, as for FEV, which is the cause of abnormal growth, I thought a US transport ship with FEV on board along with prisoners on board could be mostly wiped out by radiation from a bomb in the oceon, leaving the ship to sail unmanned and crash on the coast of Ireland. Obviosly there's a million holes in these ideas, but it can't be taken too seriosly (There is ghouls and giant insects like), anyway you could add to them would be appreciated. Or replace them, whatever!

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Wait, why did the british bomb us?

To stop the war. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was World War 3, they didn't want to feel left out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Catholic Church could still be a major influence... they still had power back in the 50's and without the growth and development of society they'd probably still be dominant.

When exactly was the big boom in Fallout land? It's just dawned on me that everythings very 1950s in style, yet you're there hacking computers etc.

Anyhows, you could have loads of cool fanatics on the radio spouting off propaganda like they were commenting on a GAA game!

You could have some sort of spin where the Irish refused to fight with the UK in the great war so England decided to re-possess the country but could never effectively put it into force, yet it's a good excuse for having some roaming bands of English squaddies cut off from command and just being a menace etc.

Micheal O Muircheartaigh on the radio telling us about when he used to commentate on GAA games and tell us about the new Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

British zombies?

Farmer Ghouls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

When exactly was the big boom in Fallout land? It's just dawned on me that everythings very 1950s in style, yet you're there hacking computers etc.
    Imagine if, after World War 2, the timeline had split. Our world forked into one branch, the Fallout world into another. In that other branch, technology progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural norms of the 50's. It was an idyllic "world of tommorow" filled with servant robots, beehive hairdos and fusion-powered cars. And then in the year 2077, at the climax of a long-running war with China, it all went to hell in a globe shattering nuclear war.
    There we go. :)

Anyway, on topic. Some kind of Yao Guai equilavent but evolved from sheep and cows instead of bears is a must.
    I like the idea that Ireland may have been re-occupied by the British during the China Wars, possibly even with the blessing of the American government? You'd have opportunities to side with either the remnants of the occupiers or the NuIRA. That or kill the whole lot I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Nevore wrote: »
    There we go. :)

Anyway, on topic. Some kind of Yao Guai equilavent but evolved from sheep and cows instead of bears is a must.
    I like the idea that Ireland may have been re-occupied by the British during the China Wars, possibly even with the blessing of the American government? You'd have opportunities to side with either the remnants of the occupiers or the NuIRA. That or kill the whole lot I guess :D
    Cows have been done, and sheep are a bit meh. I was thinking pigs. Big mutant pigs would be terrifying and they're omnivores. Goats too, maybe super evolver and shuffling about on two hooves (incarnation of evil and all that). Dublin Zoo is always an option as well. By now I've done out a whole alternative past up to the great war. You can ask a lot of "What ifs" if you want but it is only a bit of craic at the end of the day, can't take a story that had a exploding toilet that covered a town in **** too seriosly (Fallout 2, loved that game!) :pac:
    Any cool ideas for vehicles? Concepts can be mad. I've already done out some middle-east converted dune buggys (Middles east smuggled arems into ireland during war with Europe to incite revolution and keep the british on their toes)
    There's also one intace bridge with britan, heavily fortified but the option for expansion is there if needed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

pigs that bite + swine flu = mutant zombie pig people that bite (but are quite tasty and suprisingly versatile in the kitchen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

A few ideas that could be particularly chilling:

Britain has invaded Ireland and setup various vaults throughout the north & in certain areas in the Republic. Perhaps have a paradise falls-type city with IRA sympathisers where only low karma players can join?

A magdalene laundry could be both brilliant and terrifying - filled with women who weren't allowed to leave when the bombs fell, and became ghouls/mutants.

There could be some kind of fortification around the spire, a la washington memorial?

Since it's 50s themed, maybe there could be churches fillled with ghouls - people who congregated there during a war, spurning the safety of the vault?

A fishing community filled with Mirelurks?

Maybe something to do with a prison island, like Spike island?

there is a fair bit of scope for some kind of man/animal fusion.Maybe dogman? Horseman? :D

Vehicles wise, could you do something with a tractor? And make weapons out of farm tools - stick in a few pikes and shovels and the likes.

Farmer Ghouls please.
    Maybe you can go to wherever RTE is? I'd love to see Blaithnaid Ni Chofaigh as a ghoul.
    Expanding on teh supercows idea, how about Deathcows instead of Deathclaws? Huge cows faster than a tractor.
    Speaking of the tractors, maybe you can drive some?

There loads of possibilities. Some kid whos good at flash should try make one.

Advertisement