Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decent three door hatch for under 5k

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

'04 A3

Ummm... that one might be too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It always makes me laugh how a three door hatchback can be described as a coupe. :D

OP, a nice 1.6 litre 3 door Focus Zetec should fall into your budget, avoid the 1.4 litre though, it is underpowered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭stephenrd

Confab wrote: »
    '04 A3

Yeah I saw that.. He'll probably have better luck giving it away!

I was originally looking for a 1.6 3dr Focus but they seem to be few and far between with my budget in mind. The ones I have seen have had some 'issues' with them. (thank god for history and finance checks :pac:)

So I think its between a Focus if I find one, and an Astra. Any opinions??

Cheers.

Stephen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is worth checking out maybe?

Or this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The 2nd (silver) one looks nicer, don't know why I think that though.
    I'd say its ex-uk though, Air-con and no sunroof. Was the opposite on Irish cars.

• Advertisement

The 2nd (silver) one looks nicer, don't know why I think that though.
    I'd say its ex-uk though, Air-con and no sunroof. Was the opposite on Irish cars.

I had a look at both of those and it's pretty much the thing I'm after but unfortunately the silver one isn't as good a deal as it looks...

I think I'll just have to be patient with this!

I'm having a look on carzone and CBG. Any other sites that I'm missing out on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Another one for you HERE

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Does it have to be a three door hatch, this is a total bargain but its a five door, way better than an opel astra.

its a 16v also... ultra rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    It always makes me laugh how a three door hatchback can be described as a coupe. :D

OP, a nice 1.6 litre 3 door Focus Zetec should fall into your budget, avoid the 1.4 litre though, it is underpowered.

Agree 100%

I had the 1.4 5door and was an excellent car bar the lack of go. Did everything so well and was incredibly easy to live with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭sk8board

Does it have to be a three door hatch, this is a total bargain but its a five door, way better than an opel astra.

its a 16v also... ultra rare

you'd think the seller would take pics of the car somewhere he could take the 'whole' car!

btw, you can get the 00-02 model Megane's in 1.4 16v form with 98hp. Not the slowest mover in the world for a car with that size engine either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

sk8board wrote: »
    you'd think the seller would take pics of the car somewhere he could take the 'whole' car!

btw, you can get the 00-02 model Megane's in 1.4 16v form with 98hp. Not the slowest mover in the world for a car with that size engine either

Arrrgh, Meganes... nobody could say they're a trouble free car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭sk8board

Arrrgh, Meganes... nobody could say they're a trouble free car.

that 16v engine is very good, but yes its a renault, and the electrics are a bit iffy, my speedo has a mind of its own at the mo (I hit 155mph today), the rear wiper worryingly only works on occasional wet days, and the headlights stork is acting up, so the headlights won't stay on, you have to hold the stork back :)

I've owned one for just under 10 years now, and never changed it because its never left me stranded once in that time, the electrics gremlins don't affect it starting on the first turn every single day. At this stage I'll just drive it until its completely worthless and then push it into a ditch.

a cheap alternative for the OP perhaps. Naturally get one with main dealer service history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

sk8board wrote: »

Yeah looks like a small enough yard, but its a women who's selling so.. they just dont get it..

OP I recommend you take a look at that Leon, also worth a look is the toyota Corolla 1.6SR.

thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm still after a nice 3dr Focus but we'll see what crops up over the next week or two.

I'm now thinking of a slightly smaller car... Any thoughts on a Polo 1.2 or a Ford Fiesta? Around 02 - 04 is in my bugdet. Anything to look out for?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

'04 A3

"Tax Road and NCT!"

Wondering what nationality going on a statement like that!

Advertisement