Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Accident.

Options
  • 01-08-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I just reversed into a car causing a big dent in the front. We swapped numbers and that was it. What can i expect next. I am fully insuranced and driving 1 year. Full licence. Feel like a clown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Your premiums will go up

The person you reversed into will sue you for 'whiplash' regardless of how injured they actually are. They will get thousands.

Your insurance will pay for that too.

Thankfully, you don't have much of an NQB to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

dont worry too much-cant do anything about it now. See what quotes the other person comes back with. You may be able to avoid the insurance route by paying yourself yet. And i would find it very hard to believe you'll be sued for personal injuries after a little tip. The above post is a bit silly tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Dartz wrote: »
    Your premiums will go up

The person you reversed into will sue you for 'whiplash' regardless of how injured they actually are. They will get thousands.

bit dramatic id say...
    depending on the damage you might be able to cover the cost by yourself therefore your insurance premium will not be affected. you will have to wait until the other person prices the repair and then they should get back to you with the cost. i would advise paying yourself if possible as your insurance will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭franktennis

There was noone in the parked car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

What was the car what damage done?

Might be better off coughing up tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Doesn't sound much like an accident to be honest :)

Probably better off trying to pay it yourself if you can afford it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If the damage is light and no-one was in the car or injured in the incident you should pay up yourself and continue to build up that NCB (carefully!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would probably settle myself if it's less than 8 or 900. No one in the other car means no one can claim against you for anything else really.

Lucky accident really .. could have been much worse in terms of effect on your insurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As others have said, if the damage is minor enough it's probably worth trying to pay for it from your own pocket. If it goes through your insurance you'll find it difficult to get decent quotes for nearly five years.

Also, don't worry about it too much. Just improve your observation. ;-) It's only a parking dent. I came back to my MkV GTi this week to find that someone had dropped enough weight on the bonnet to damage the radiator through it. I'd happily take a parking dent about now...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Your premiums will go up

Sounds about right.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your premiums will go up

OP has since said that there was no one in the other car but even if there was, that is one hell of an assumption to make. If I was in the damaged car, yes I would F & Blind but I would only claim for what I would be entitled to. I, like many others, believe in Karma and would not ride the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I don't share your faith in humanity.... sorry....

People are ****s... and there are plenty of people who would be crippled for life by that accident out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭franktennis

Hey i am embarrassed by the whole thing. I hope it comes to less than 500. It was my fault and was **** driving so i deserve all i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

Hey i am embarrassed by the whole thing. I hope it comes to less than 500. It was my fault and was **** driving so i deserve all i get.

remember first time I done this into a company van outside a house...knocked in and they or neighbours 3 doors each side didnt know who owned it so didnt/ couldnt pay up.... ah well :cool:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

skippy15 wrote: »
    so didnt/ couldnt pay up....
    no windscreen wipers to stick your number under? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

skippy15 wrote: »
    remember first time I done this into a company van outside a house...knocked in and they or neighbours 3 doors each side didnt know who owned it so didnt/ couldnt pay up.... ah well :cool:
    Lovely! At least the people who wrecked my car had the good grace to leave a note and details.

Advertisement