Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats typical mpg on a Merc 230ce?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one, late 80's/early 90's, but am finding it hard to find any solid info on them. Has anyone got an idea of what to expect on fuel consumption?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mid 20s, not a light car, the old 8v 2.3 not esp economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

mike65 wrote: »
    Mid 20s, not a light car, the old 8v 2.3 not esp economical.

I thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Did the engine change when it became a W124 on ?

I get around 25mpg in mine, up to 28mpg if I take it easy. That's mainly suburban driving, average speed of 13mph

Can't say fairer than that really, for such a hefty car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From memory, the W124 started with the 2.3 8v (230CE), then got the 2.2 16v (E220 Coupe) in the August 1993 facelift. It's supposed to be quite a good engine, although that car really needs a straight six IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

frobisher, I wouldn't let the fuel economy put you off unless you are doing significant milage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

franksm wrote: »
    Did the engine change when it became a W124 on ?

I get around 25mpg in mine, up to 28mpg if I take it easy. That's mainly suburban driving, average speed of 13mph

Can't say fairer than that really, for such a hefty car

That's not bad considering the car it is really. My 97 Vento runs on the smell of diesel but it ain't no 230ce ;)

Advertisement