Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Biography of Napoleon?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help with this - I've recently taken an interest and am looking for some recommended reading material on Napoleon? I have Googled, Wikipedia'd etc in an effort to start the learning process but nothing beats a well written biography!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

Hi, hope someone can help with this - I've recently taken an interest and am looking for some recommended reading material on Napoleon? I have Googled, Wikipedia'd etc in an effort to start the learning process but nothing beats a well written biography!

Napoleon, The Path to Power 1769-1799 by Phillip Dwyer.
    The Murder of Naopleon by Weider....a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll order them online asap:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Napoleon" by HAL Fisher. Fairly old, but paints a hostile yet convincing view of the Napoleonic phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Read 1812 a couple of years ago very interesting. Not a biography but told the history of the 1812 campaign, really enjoyed it

IIMII wrote: »
    Read 1812 a couple of years ago very interesting. Not a biography but told the history of the 1812 campaign, really enjoyed it

I'm a complete novice to the subject area so I thought beginning with Napoleon would be a good intro. I just loved history when I was younger, so kinda getting into now again as a hobby in my spare time (a breath of fresh air when you work in finance!). I might look into 1812 though as I get along, thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Barry O D

the rise and fall of napoleon by robert asprey. its 2 volume,
    Napoleon is of great interest to me and i have a good few books on him. This is one of the best i have read and own:)

Barry O D wrote: »
    the rise and fall of napoleon by robert asprey. its 2 volume,
    Napoleon is of great interest to me and i have a good few books on him. This is one of the best i have read and own:)

Thank you for that, will check it out. I ordered Napoleon - Path to Power so can't wait to get started and start forming my own opinion of the man:)

Advertisement