Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Revision Books

Options
  • 01-08-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Going into sixth year, so I guess it's time to do a little work.

I want to get some revision books, there's a couple of different makes - any recommendations on which are the best for each subject?

Particularly honour maths, chemistry and Irish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I found the "Less Stress, More Success" for Honours Maths was very helpful. It gives a lot of examples of exam type questions and also has a section with all the theorems and proofs.

Never used a revision book for Irish; I'm not sure how helpful it would be tbh. I imagine the only benefit you'd get from it would be extra practice at reading comprehensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I did the LC this year and I recommend staying away from 'Less Stress More Success'. Instead, go for 'Revise Wise'.

Maths I recommend the revision books by Aidan Roantree. it's simply called Leaving Cert Maths. There's 2 books at €10 each but they're worth it :pac:

You can also find some cheap revision books on www.adverts.ie I even have an ad up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

ehh.. im not sure about those subjects.. but overall i found revise wise great!

for business use shortcut to sucess, sooooo good! ehh... yeah.. the ret i would just reccoment revise wise:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't do business...

Thanks guys. I'll have a look for those Aidan Roantree books - all good bookstores should stock them yeah?

My friend highly recommended a Geography revision book written by his teacher - I'll look for it and tell you all.

What about chemistry? That's my worst subject by a country mile, I need a miracle moreso than a revision book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

An dtuigeann tú for Irish oral is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Yeah all good bookstores should do the Aidan Roantree books.

Can't help you though for chemistry. I never did it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What about chemistry? That's my worst subject by a country mile, I need a miracle moreso than a revision book.

DEFINATELY Rapid Revision Chemistry....its in the same layout as Chemistry Live, the book we used in class, so easy to find things in. Experiments are done out really short with all the main points, everything is just so handy in it! :D I found it great anyway* :)

*May have a different opinion on august 12th....:o

Ooh, and, honours maths.....coming up to the end of the year, i found the celtic press essentials unfolded book pretty good. Its reeeeally small, but has all the main points etc. It was amazing for biology aswel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thanks Anne-Marie!

Absolutely hate Chemistry Live, and the teacher is terrible.

A mate spent 5/6th year with her getting nowhere, repeated 6th in a different school and firmly believes chemistry was his best exam thanks to the better teacher - and use of notes instead of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Thanks Anne-Marie!

Absolutely hate Chemistry Live, and the teacher is terrible.

A mate spent 5/6th year with her getting nowhere, repeated 6th in a different school and firmly believes chemistry was his best exam thanks to the better teacher - and use of notes instead of books.

Ya, goes without saying i suppose, a good teachers notes are better than any revision book, but they're still helpful enough :)

Forgot to mention irish earlier....i didnt use any revision book at all due to having THE most amazing teacher, but some of the essay phrases in this thread are really good: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=245889. A book could be helpful for oral work, just for getting extra phrases that'll be different to the rest of your class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

revise wise bio n business saved my leavin . your better off on your own making notes out on your own though much better imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Maths- Roantree's handbooks were great, just for the examples. That leaving cert soultions book would be better though.
    Irish- Make your own notes.
    English- Make your own notes.
    Accounting- Use every Marking Scheme you can get your hands on.
    Chemistry- Rapid Revision > all others
    Physics- Get Pat Doyle's notes and you won't go wrong.
    French- Your own notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1245

hi en could ye recommend any good French revision books please

Advertisement