Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCI's Sound and Vision Fund, what is produced?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I was just watching Setanta Sports' Sports Matters, which is funded by the BCI's Sound and Vision Fund. It is a studio based discussion programme on sports in Ireland with issues raised such as Gender Equality and Racism in sport. All of which are important subjects to discuss, however how much does this type of programme really cost to make and should it be part funded by the Licence Fee. I understand that setanta is in financial difficulty but new company set up to save Setanta's Irish arm is providing studio based programming of the same kind e.g. The Hub which is a Sports News based discussion show (film in the same studio). The other main question for the licence fee going to a studio based programme for setatna is that they produce the show no Indepedent producer is involved. Why? How? and Who? did the BCI/BAI come to the conclusion that such a studio based programme should be produced for a private broadcaster by a private broadcaster?

Some of TV3's productions should also be questioned, Living with Murder was (as pointed out by the Evening Herald) a mix of old TV3 archival news footage with a few talking heads which did not bring anything new to the table. Their other BCI funded TV show was a parental TV programme which was similar in style to TV3's Ireland Top 10... (AFAIK both were independental produced for TV3). However in fairness to TV3 they have had some excellent commission from this use of the licence few including "How the Irish Have Sex" and "Diary of..." and others.

But I don't really understand how the BCI really work this scheme and some of the show are as questionable as some of the shows produced by RTÉ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

programs that wouldent be made unless they got backing by the BCI..

if an idea for a program is so good the tv channel will buy it.. if its not the producer can go to the BCI and get the cash..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

afatbollix wrote: »
    programs that wouldent be made unless they got backing by the BCI..

if an idea for a program is so good the tv channel will buy it.. if its not the producer can go to the BCI and get the cash..

But do you think that any producer or broadcaster could on their own produce

Living with Murder (Talking heads and archive TV3 material)
    Sports Matters (A studio based show produced by Setanta Sport?)

The producers need the backing of a FTA broadcaster, Setanta provide their BCI funded shows unencrypted as you pointed out in another forum.

Elmo wrote: »
    But do you think that any producer or broadcaster could on their own produce

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

But do you think that any producer or broadcaster could on their own (without the fund) produce either Living with Murder (Talking heads and archive TV3 material) or Sports Matters (A studio based show produced by Setanta Sport)?

The shows where list below.

Remember Setanta Sports did think that the idea for Sports Matters was good that they bought it since they are the producers.

not really... have you seen the budgets for documentary on RTE? would you believe costs 110,000 euro for a hour...

the BCI prob got 10 hours of programs for 100,000... ( with sport matters)

Im not sure if setanta would give cash stright up for a show... unless its live they dont care...

Personally Ill be going to the BCI with a couple of ideas.. the main reason is that its easier to get something made as the tv channels have no money.. and its all about the budgets ;)

• Advertisement

not really... have you seen the budgets for documentary on RTE? would you believe costs 110,000 euro for a hour...

the BCI prob got 10 hours of programs for 100,000... ( with sport matters)

Im not sure if setanta would give cash stright up for a show... unless its live they dont care...

Personally Ill be going to the BCI with a couple of ideas.. the main reason is that its easier to get something made as the tv channels have no money.. and its all about the budgets ;)

But is 10 hours of sports matters better than a 1 hour documentary. Should the BCI be looking at quantity over quality. To me sports matters is hugely commercial, I don't see its public remit to be honest.

Sports matters is a Setanta production no independent producers where involved. Their documentry on the Cyclist during the week was public service and was abosultly public service.

I am not arguing about either TV3's or Setanta's projects but the BCI's issuing of moneys to shows that really could be produced by the commercial channels, with little effect on their over all budgets.

As I said some of the shows given funding have been excellent, I just question others that IMO could and should be produced or commissioned by the private broadcasters out of their own pocket.

TV3 have plenty of money as I have pointed out on several occasions.

BAI and TV3 really are making a laugh out of this fund.

Another show filled with Archive material and celebraties talking about the archive material.

And smug TV3 then start to go on about how they are competition. No mention of TG4 or any of the programming they produced over the years such as CU Burn or Barbarsa, instead they talked about The Dunphy Show and Ireland AM :rolleyes: they could have at least mentioned The Apprentice.

History of Irish Comedy. Again Celebs happily sucking up or plamasing TV3 and RTÉ. Twink announcing that she doesn't do Paddywakkery when talking about Kinnaskully, Are you sure Twink? Because FG might disagree with you.

Really not PSB in any shape or form.

Not even a mention of TG4 Comedy. Like CU Burn or Barabas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think we didn't quite realise the implications of this topic at the time :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No Zombie threads! But try this new one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215592

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement