Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

apple or esso

Options
  • 01-08-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

anyone notice any difference in using either petrols,ie do you get more miles out of esso than apple petrol, does either have any effect on the performance of the engine,,which is better value for money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

ronn wrote: »
    anyone notice any difference in using either petrols,ie do you get more miles out of esso than apple petrol, does either have any effect on the performance of the engine,,which is better value for money
    I think this is an urban myth,the chances are fuel lasting longer from one station than another isnt very likely,most distributors buy from the main refineires Dublin,Galway,Cork,Derry etc.Their all buying the same fuel the only difference is the name of the distributor.In regrads to the best value for money it all depends where the station is located.Thats my two cents on the subject.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Some use their own additives in their petrol, like Texaco with their Techron. Cheaper stations (especially private ones out in the country) may have more dubious sources for their fuel.

Shell V-Power (back when they were around here) was certainly very different - my car ran noticeably smoother but fuel consumption was terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I think V-power tricked the EMS into thinking the car was running lean, by increasing the amount of oxygen in the exhaust somehow, so it added more fuel. An engine running a little richer, runs smoother, whereas modern car engines are designed to run as lean as possible, within design and emissions tolerances, and lean running engines can be quite harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think this is an urban myth,the chances are fuel lasting longer from one station than another isnt very likely,most distributors buy from the main refineires Dublin,Galway,Cork,Derry etc.Their all buying the same fuel the only difference is the name of the distributor.In regrads to the best value for money it all depends where the station is located.Thats my two cents on the subject.:D

There is only one refinery in Ireland.

Most of the fuel companies get their fuel from the UK or main land Europe already refined, then they add stuff to it too make it slightly different, or not.

But I do agree with the location - why drive 10 miles extra, to get 5 more miles for your €10? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Esso's diesel is a slightly different colour to Applegreens (and Topaz's) from experience, Esso's is much closer to clear compared to slightly yellow...

Generally only use Topaz petrol cause of a fuel card, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I find that my car runs better with maxol petrol,it's 99ron compared with all other petrols sold here that are 95ron. Car is smoother and torquier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most petrol sold here is 99.2 RON E5 these days, not just Maxol. Only Top bother telling you, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I used to use Texaco before Maxol.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ronn wrote: »
    AFAIK they both sell standard unleaded 95 (no additives) so there should be no difference.
    Some use their own additives in their petrol, like Texaco with their Techron.
    Not all Texacos have techron in their fuel.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Most petrol sold here is 99.2 RON E5 these days, not just Maxol. Only Top bother telling you, though.
    Most is 95. Only maxol do 99.2 (can't think of any others offhand)
    Esso, Tesco, Apple use 95 as do Topaz who supply most of the country

kbannon wrote: »
    Most is 95. Only maxol do 99.2 (can't think of any others offhand)
    Esso, Tesco, Apple use 95 as do Topaz who supply most of the country

According to the petrol station owner on here (Hammertime), effectively all petrol in this country is E5 now; he's mentioned taking half-loads from Applegreen/Tesco/Topaz drops before and he sells E5.

Top specifically state that they do and I think I read somewhere that DCCs brands (Emo and GreatGas) do to.

E5 doesn't need to be declared, you can sell it as unleaded without stating so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Maybe the fuel difference has something to do with this......????
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055637679

Advertisement