Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Ive just moved into a rental property and its fueled by ofch and two fireplaces. I really want to do my best in relation to the enviroment but its cold sometimes! Any suggestions on how I can be more enviromentally friendly?

(I was thinking if I switched my electricity to the wind farm source and then used electric heaters?)

How bad are ofch and fires for the enviroment btw?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

cards wrote: »
    Ive just moved into a rental property and its fueled by ofch and two fireplaces. I really want to do my best in relation to the enviroment but its cold sometimes! Any suggestions on how I can be more enviromentally friendly?

(I was thinking if I switched my electricity to the wind farm source and then used electric heaters?)

How bad are ofch and fires for the enviroment btw?

Thanks.
    I wouldn't do that to be honest. The amount of electricity on the grid from renewable sources isn't demand driven, it's policy driven. Electricity supply and electricity generation are separated. This is a point that's lost on many who switch to Airtricity. What I mean is that if you switch to a renewable energy supplier, it will not increase the amount of renewable electricity produced. You will be using electricity from the same supply pool as the customers of all other suppliers and the net CO2 emissions are the same. Then by using plug-in electric heaters you're increasing the electricity demand, often at peak demand times. It will also cost you a multiple of the ofch running costs.

The best you can do in a rental property is to get the landlord to service the boiler regularly and use locally grown timber if you chose to use the fireplaces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well Airtricity is cheaper so I would switch if I were you. Although, yeah you're right about national renewables being policy-driven maniac101. Still I feel better with them :)

Firstly, if you've moved in since Jan 1st 2009, you are entitled to know the BER of the property-this would have been a big red flag as to your future space heating bills.. But now you're in there so you could try things like draft proofing the windows with some tape. Check under doors for drafts and buy draft-stoppers in a local store. In the evenings, keep the curtains closed to keep in the heat.

If you're not using the fireplace, fill a plastic bag with old newspaper and stuff it up the chimney to stop the heat escaping that way (make sure the chimney is stone cold before you do this!).

Wood fires are not too bad for the environment because the carbon emitted is simply the carbon taken in while the tree was growing (minus production/transport carbon of course). All other fuel you can buy is smokeless so nowhere near as bad as it used to be in terms of air pollution.

What else? Invest in some nice jumpers and socks?! I'd say something to your landlord about more expensive upgradings (especially if he didn't show you BER, as is your legal entitlement) if I were you because if it's like this in August, think what it will be like in January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Cheers guys.Much food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

You've got me thinking!!

Winter has struck and this house is freezing. THere is a stream less than a foot and a half away from the kitchen and I reckon there are some springs under the house too which makes it like a larder. I have discovered that timber and turf are pretty poor in relation to giving off heat compared to coal but surely coal is a lot worse for the enviroment. Turf smoke smells almost pleasant whereas coal smoke is hard and full of sulphur etc? Surely , I would be better off using ofch rather than coal? I work from home too so need to heat the house or at least some of it from 12 onwards. How do I balance idealism with practicalism?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

cards, the best thing you can do is look at energy efficiency measures, ie draft stripping windows and doors and insulation, heavy curtains etc.

Think of it like filling the holes before you start pouring water into the bucket.

Have you spoken to your landlord about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CadelFoster

cards wrote: »
    Any suggestions on how I can be more enviromentally friendly?

Extra jumper?

a t shirt, 2 jumpers, a zip up cardigan type thing and a hoodie. any more and I'll be like the michelin man.

Good point
    taconnol but
    in relation to draft proofing the windows etc..and that, they are relatively modern but the walls of the house are nearly 2 feet thick and those older type buildings are normally cold so I don't think the landlord can do a lot.
    My dilema is I planned to buy no oil, i don't mind paying for it but its like a tractor engine chuffin away in the back room. I think though I have only been buying ordinary coal and not smokeless as they don't seem to sell it in the sticks so I will try smokeless and leave the oil on hold for now.

Brrrrrrrrr........!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a delivery of kerro and make a promise with yourself that one day you shall make up for it by building the most eco friendly dwelling possible. :rolleyes:

Advertisement