Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to make red liquid/blood

Options
  • 01-08-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭

hey,

need to make mock blood but it has to be nice and thin so that it won't clog a pump. Have to get it a nice blood red or close, its strictly visual so does not need to be thick at all. would really appreciate some ideas on dyes etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Red food colouring, golden syrup and water.

Heat up the golden syrup in the microwave (careful, make sure to watch it). Add water to thin it and red food colouring to eh, colour it. Too make it darker you can add coffee. You can also mess around with colours if you use blue and yellow food colourings.

Keep it in something like a jam jar (label it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Larianne wrote: »
    Red food colouring, golden syrup and water.

Heat up the golden syrup in the microwave (careful, make sure to watch it). Add water to thin it and red food colouring to eh, colour it. Too make it darker you can add coffee. You can also mess around with colours if you use blue and yellow food colourings.

Keep it in something like a jam jar (label it!).

Cheers lariannne, just a bit concerned about the syrup though, as I want it to be able to pass through a garden pump and don't want to clog it. Could I do without the syrup?The texture is not that important, moreso the colour. Also I need to make about a bathtubs worth - how much food colouring will i need?!

Hmm, yeah going through a pump might not be a good thing with the syrup. Sorry, I somehow didn't see the pump element in your post. :o

You need something to thicken up the liquid. I don't think just water and food colouring will cut it. You could give it a try though.

If its a bath tub full you will need a sh!t load of food colouring!! :eek: Maybe you can get in a bakery suppliers place. I'm not sure about that - as the food colouring you get in the shops is in a teeny bottle!!

I'll have a thinker about this and see if I can think of anything, or maybe someone else might have ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Since you need loads of blood, why not mix some, water based, red & brown paint, into the water? It'd be a whole lot cheaper than buying the food colouring.

For a bath tub quantity, perhaps a litre of red, 1/4 to 1/2 litre of brown?

If the liquid is too "watery" try thickening it up with a bag of corn flour.
    (Maybe a big bag!?)

P.S. - whatever the hell you're at - I wanna see a pic when it's done! :D

mrmac wrote: »
    Since you need loads of blood, why not mix some, water based, red & brown paint, into the water? It'd be a whole lot cheaper than buying the food colouring.

For a bath tub quantity, perhaps a litre of red, 1/4 to 1/2 litre of brown?

If the liquid is too "watery" try thickening it up with a bag of corn flour.
    (Maybe a big bag!?)

P.S. - whatever the hell you're at - I wanna see a pic when it's done! :D

Ah yes, that might work, the pump again though might be an issue - maybe i should just look into irradicating the pump. Want to make the blood look like its bubbling though, so just thought whatever way a bubbling garden feature looks really.

Also to use the paint id need to protect the bathtub some how,maybe coat it with cling film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

You've lost me - but really peaked my nosy side!

The bath should be ok, if you use water based paint. This shouln't stain (I think!).

The best way to make a bubbling broth, is to use a small fish tank pump, which should work ok, if you keep the fluid fairly watery. This will create loads of bubbles, but won't pump it.

mrmac wrote: »
    You've lost me - but really peaked my nosy side!

The bath should be ok, if you use water based paint. This shouln't stain (I think!).

The best way to make a bubbling broth, is to use a small fish tank pump, which should work ok, if you keep the fluid fairly watery. This will create loads of bubbles, but won't pump it.

you good sir, are a genius amongst mere mortals.....with larianne bringing up the rear

you good sir, are a genius amongst mere mortals.....with larianne bringing up the rear

Hey hey what's this about me and someone's rear? :D

Let us know how you get on!!

Advertisement