Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping centre Naas

Options
  • 01-08-2009 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Does anyone know if they have stopped working on the new shopping centre in Naas, I passed by the other day and it looked like there was no one working on it at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

maybe because it's builders holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

yes could be that but not just in the last week or two but further back, seems to be very little activity for a shopping centre due to be open in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Yeah they were forced to stop during all junior/leaving cert exams cause it's so close to the school, but even before that they'd scaled back work a lot. I would say there's no chance of it being open before this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Currently = builder's holidays (from approx 24th July to 10th August.

Previously you may have thought there was little activity, but all the work is currently on the internal features of the centre / electrics / water / waste systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

I'm in Kilcullen but shop in Naas a lot. Where is the site? Any idea what's to go in when/if it's done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

redalicat wrote: »
    I'm in Kilcullen but shop in Naas a lot. Where is the site? Any idea what's to go in when/if it's done?

Haha dunno how you've missed it then.:D

Its in the centre of the town, where the big car park used to be, access is from main street opposite the post office and opposite the court house, also from the back on corbans lane.

Here's an aerial pic of the site from their website:

Location-Aerial.jpg

Numbers on map correspond to:
    1. Main Street

2. Dublin Road

3. Newbridge Road

4. Kilcullen Road

5. Tesco/Pennys

6. Court House

7. Town Hall

Thanx, the photo helps make sense of it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

so any more word on this one - have passed by from the Corban's lane side a few times and there's been very little going on - is that cos they're fitting it out or has work stopped - anyone with the inside track on this (builders, plumbers etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Dunnes have pulled out. As they were the flag bearer store all the other stores have also pulled out, hence why work has stopped. They dont have anybody top put in the centre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and would you like to back that claim up with a link to a verifiable source or is it just what you "heard"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

According to Savills (main agents) the centre is scheduled for "completion" at the end of 2009.

Also according to Savills, the Showgrounds in Clonmel is the only shopping centre development opening in 2009.

My guess - and its only a guess - is the centre will aim to open next May or so with many shops waiting until Autumn.

I'll try and get some info and post any news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Local letting agents stated that the centre would open in November 2009. Considering that much work remains to be done on the centre and there is absolutely no sign of any recruitment activity, its fair to say that it most likely will not open this year.

In relation to Dunnes Stores, they have consistantly refused to comment on rumours that they have pulled out. Neither denying or confirming otherwise. So once again it is reasonable to jump to more negative conclusions until an alternative viewpoint is confirmed. Personally I think things are not looking good for this venture. Dunnes have no recruitment details on that section of their web site.

If one looks at the white water in Newbridge, the developers fought tooth and nail to remove the cinema aspect from the centre in order to utilise the allotted area to retail units. Once the economy went tits up they have decided to install the cinema in the area that was previously built for it. Why? Because they could not attract any retailers in the good times and will certainly not attract them in the bad times. The white water was a late arrival anyway. Naas shopping centre has missed the boat altogether.

Retail parks are lying empty in Dublin. Existing shops are struggling all over the country. Liffey Valley are putting their extension on hold. There are many similar stories from more populated and affluent areas. So why would one expect Naas shopping centre to open with an anchor tenant and a range of supporting stores? It might open, but I'd say its fair enough to speculate that its in trouble. Dunnes Stores will hold their silence and probably at the request of the developer in case it scares off other potential tenants. Its a game of cat and mouse and its a shoe in that the full story is being with held in the interest of the money men.

My guess? Won't open anytime soon. Naas took too long as usual. Blame that lot of tossers in the town hall. They couldn't set themselves on fire in a pool of petrol.

To be fair, Dunnes rarely comment on anything - they're known for it. I wouldn't read too much into that aspect.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To be fair, Dunnes rarely comment on anything - they're known for it. I wouldn't read too much into that aspect.

Thats very true. But when they are recruiting its some fanfare. There's no buzz around Naas about new shops in the centre hiring. It just feels very ominous especially since the old economy isn't the best. Very hard to be positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I used to live in the housing estate beside the car park where most of the shopping centre was built on... the houses were only after getting demolished about 2-3 years after they said! I'm kind of glad I moved out of Naas to be honest; the place drove me nuts, and I was living there for 17 years... :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

I'm sure if dunnes were planning on going ahead with a store in this shopping centre they would be quick to quell the rumours that they were pulling out. The last thing they would want/need is to have others stores abandoning plans to open there based on false rumours.

So with that in mind, I think it looks like a fairly decent possiblity that dunnes have pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Considering the amount of effort Dunnes are going to with Harry Crosbie and the new Point Village store (it is rumoured they tried to pull out or get a sweetner) I'm sure there are frantic negotiations going on with the Naas shopping centre people.
    Has work restarted on it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Just read this week that the opening has been put off until summer 2010 at the earliest. Trouble with the anchor tenant among other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

From http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Naas-Shopping-Centre-opening-put.5731526.jp

Naas Shopping Centre opening put back again
    Problems with land purchases and tenants are behind the delay
    By Paul O'Meara

THE E45m Naas Shopping Centre development is not likely to open before next summer, the Leinster Leader can reveal.
    Most of the construction work on the project has been completed for some months and this was to have been followed by the fitting out of shop units - work that was to have started in May.

Earlier this year Sarah O'Farrell, of developers Marshalsea Property, said that the company had not shelved the project until economic circumstances improved and said the opening plans were on schedule.

Ms O'Farrell was unavailable for detailed comment yesterday when contacted in Manchester but it is known that the centre cannot open until land has been acquired behind the building. Most of this land is along the road that runs between the back of the centre and Naas CBS.

Plans are being made by the company to secure this land through a compulsory purchase order (CPO) but if an accommodation is reached between the company and a small number of objectors who live in the area, then the land could be acquired by agreement.

This issue is the subject of an An Bord Pleanála ruling due to be issued in six to eight weeks - unless the parties can come an agreement in the meantime.

The company has also been working with Naas Town Council to secure the completion of work to surrounding roads.

It was originally planned to open the centre this autumn but this was later moved to the end of the year.

When the centre does open it will front on to the main street and the entrance to the Bank of Ireland branch has moved a short distance to facilitate this.

There has been some speculation that the project was in difficulty because of a lack of interest among potential unit holders and that Dunnes Stores, the anchor tenant, had withdrawn or is seeking to re-negotiate terms.

Dunnes Stores, which has signed up for 7,000 square metres on two levels, has declined to comment when contacted by the Leader or to respond to requests for information made by email.

Dunnes have never previously had a presence in Naas and plan to have clothing and food units.

The centre's 45 units include shops, fashion boutiques, restaurants and at least one bar. It will also have 800 parking spaces.

Apart from the 200 jobs created as the building was under construction, it is reckoned that if all of the units are occupied the centre will employ 250 people.

The project is supported by the community and local politicians.
    Cllr Seamie Moore said the issue between the company and Dunnes Stores may be dealt with through arbitration and he hoped the centre would proceed.

"I would like to see the centre finished and open as soon as possible. It is a pity if it has been delayed by technical problems such as the CPO and it might speed up the process if the developer dealt individually with residents," Cllr Moore said.

Cllr Darren Scully said the centre is needed to "bring life back into the centre of the town" and to "counter Kildare County Council's decision to grant permission for retail development outside the town."

"I believe negotiations are taking place with Dunne Stores. The key to success will be the anchor tenant and it can't open until one is in place," said Cllr Scully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

NedNew wrote: »
    From http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Naas-Shopping-Centre-opening-put.5731526.jp

Naas Shopping Centre opening put back again
    Problems with land purchases and tenants are behind the delay
    By Paul O'Meara

THE E45m Naas Shopping Centre development is not likely to open before next summer, the Leinster Leader can reveal.
    Most of the construction work on the project has been completed for some months and this was to have been followed by the fitting out of shop units - work that was to have started in May.

Earlier this year Sarah O'Farrell, of developers Marshalsea Property, said that the company had not shelved the project until economic circumstances improved and said the opening plans were on schedule.

Ms O'Farrell was unavailable for detailed comment yesterday when contacted in Manchester but it is known that the centre cannot open until land has been acquired behind the building. Most of this land is along the road that runs between the back of the centre and Naas CBS.

Plans are being made by the company to secure this land through a compulsory purchase order (CPO) but if an accommodation is reached between the company and a small number of objectors who live in the area, then the land could be acquired by agreement.

This issue is the subject of an An Bord Pleanála ruling due to be issued in six to eight weeks - unless the parties can come an agreement in the meantime.

The company has also been working with Naas Town Council to secure the completion of work to surrounding roads.

It was originally planned to open the centre this autumn but this was later moved to the end of the year.

When the centre does open it will front on to the main street and the entrance to the Bank of Ireland branch has moved a short distance to facilitate this.

There has been some speculation that the project was in difficulty because of a lack of interest among potential unit holders and that Dunnes Stores, the anchor tenant, had withdrawn or is seeking to re-negotiate terms.

Dunnes Stores, which has signed up for 7,000 square metres on two levels, has declined to comment when contacted by the Leader or to respond to requests for information made by email.

Dunnes have never previously had a presence in Naas and plan to have clothing and food units.

The centre's 45 units include shops, fashion boutiques, restaurants and at least one bar. It will also have 800 parking spaces.

Apart from the 200 jobs created as the building was under construction, it is reckoned that if all of the units are occupied the centre will employ 250 people.

The project is supported by the community and local politicians.
    Cllr Seamie Moore said the issue between the company and Dunnes Stores may be dealt with through arbitration and he hoped the centre would proceed.

"I would like to see the centre finished and open as soon as possible. It is a pity if it has been delayed by technical problems such as the CPO and it might speed up the process if the developer dealt individually with residents," Cllr Moore said.

Cllr Darren Scully said the centre is needed to "bring life back into the centre of the town" and to "counter Kildare County Council's decision to grant permission for retail development outside the town."

"I believe negotiations are taking place with Dunne Stores. The key to success will be the anchor tenant and it can't open until one is in place," said Cllr Scully

Would appear to be the giveaway line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Hi All,

Anyone know if this is open yet?
    Or what shops are in it?

It's not open yet. The article above gives more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

Who is financing this? Anglo Irish Bank again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

This is all BS to keep the value of the site up until NAMA takes it off their hands.

Looks like this answers the original question...

redalicat wrote: »
    Looks like this answers the original question...

So we have the White Water in Newbridge and a White Elephant in Naas.

Nice.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

So, does anyone know if there has been any more progress since the last post on this? Is there any sign of progress? Also, what's the plan on the old Superquinn site. I believe a the moment its being used as a carpark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

BuzzFish wrote: »
    So, does anyone know if there has been any more progress since the last post on this? Is there any sign of progress? Also, what's the plan on the old Superquinn site. I believe a the moment its being used as a carpark!

Old superquinn is being worked on and will open as Penneys in the spring.

As for the shopping centre - I can;t see this opening anytime soon and possibly may end up being reworked into offices or something else as the market for a new shopping centre won't exist for many a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

maxer68 wrote: »
    Old superquinn is being worked on and will open as Penneys in the spring.

Got me interested to see what it'll look like (slow day in work!) and I found this from Kildare planning online:

getimage?cat=iDocs&item=d3bebc22-3855-465a-a33f-f339809d75ad.djvu&wid=600&hei=500&rgn=0.2510073642,0.0689223058,0.5844796443,0.9043441938&oif=jpeg&page=0

Advertisement