Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about lanes on a Roundabout

Options
  • 01-08-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've passed my test about 2 years now but I've always had a question about a certain type of roundabout.

Suppose you have a 4-exit roundabout with no straight ahead exit. I'll draw it to avoid confusion.

86686.png

Now suppose the roundabout has no markings to indicate what lane you should be in i.e. use the standard roundabout rules.

Which lane should you be in to take the 2nd exit?

Many people would say that you use the left lane to take the 1st and 2nd exits and the right lane for any further exits.

The RSA website says you use the left lane for going left or straight ahead and the right lane for any further exits.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

But because this roundabout has no straight ahead I think you should use the right lane?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You shoulld be in the right hand lane if you're going more than 180 degrees (or straight ahead) around the roundabout so in this case it's the right lane for the 2nd exit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think the 1st exit, 2nd exit etc. system isn't really useful unless you're a SatNav.

What I do is imagine the roundabout as a clock - if the exit I want to take occurs before or at 12 o clock, I approach in the left hand lane. If it is any exit after 12 o clock, which in the case of your diagram is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th exit [the road you just came from], approach in the right hand lane.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

what if there are 3 lanes like on the walkinstown roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

what if there are 3 lanes like on the walkinstown roundabout?
    I would imagine that on 3 lane roundabouts there are arrows to indicate which lane you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

alan4cult wrote: »
    I would imagine that on 3 lane roundabouts there are arrows to indicate which lane you take?

No such luck, the Walkinstown roundabout is a law unto itself. When I come to it, if I'm taking the last exit from where I am, I'll use the right lane, third or fourth, middle, and first two, left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

HI
    The problem is you can be in the left or right position in this situation.

If you are in the left position (like the norm) you DO NOT SIGNAL so anyone waiting to come onto the roundabout will know you are not taking the first exit and that you are continuing on to the second exit.

If you are in the right position on the approach you DO NOT SIGNAL so anyone behind you will know that you are not continuing to the third exit.

SO you can be in ether position and you do not signal.

HOW the difference when leaving!
    If in the left position! Mirrors and signal before leaving,
    BUT if in the right position! Mirror, signal and check the left shoulder/Blind spot before leaving.

I Hope this helps
    Regards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

HOW the difference when leaving!
    If in the left position! Mirrors and signal before leaving,
    BUT if in the right position! Mirror, signal and check the left shoulder/Blind spot before leaving.

Why wouldn't you check your left blind spot when leaving from the left position? What about cyclists that may be coming from the 1st exit (in the diagram) to the 3rd exit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zednanrefnomar

Why wouldn't you check your left blind spot when leaving from the left position? What about cyclists that may be coming from the 1st exit (in the diagram) to the 3rd exit?

Because in that case you would be already occupying the left hand lane, so there wouldn't be any traffic to your left. If there was a cyclist there, would be either in front of you or behind you, but not beside you.

If the cyclist is in front of you, stay behind them until they have continued around, and then take your exit.
    If the cyclist is behind you, they shouldn't pass you out (in your lane) on the inside.

If the cyclist is in front of you, stay behind them until they have continued around, and then take your exit.
    If the cyclist is behind you, they shouldn't pass you out (in your lane) on the inside.

I understand what you are saying. I always check the blind spot though as one of my friends (a very good cyclist, in fact) was knocked off his bike by a taxi turning left - he fractured his elbow and his bicycle wheel was buckled. It turned out the taxi driver was decent though and gave him a lift to the hospital and paid his medical fees and for a new bicycle wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

There's a roundabout north of Dunalk with 3 lanes on it but only 2 lanes feeding it, it has 5 exits. Recently a driving Instructor taking his ADI test exam was advised by the Examiner that any exit past 12o'clock (if you think of roundabout as a clock face) is considered a right turn therefore signalling right, keep to right entering and on the roundabout . At exit before the one you want take appropriate observations signal left and if safe move left and exit. These are the top 8 examiners in the country so I'll stick with their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    There's a roundabout north of Dunalk with 3 lanes on it but only 2 lanes feeding it, it has 5 exits. Recently a driving Instructor taking his ADI test exam was advised by the Examiner that any exit past 12o'clock (if you think of roundabout as a clock face) is considered a right turn therefore signalling right, keep to right entering and on the roundabout . At exit before the one you want take appropriate observations signal left and if safe move left and exit. These are the top 8 examiners in the country so I'll stick with their opinion.

You see there are problems all over this.
    First of all roundabouts are different and as I said earlier you can be in ether position.
    The RSA driving test requirement if in the right lane position is making sure you check the left shoulder before leaving the roundabout.

I am not disagreeing with your comment but if i can point out how the ADI unit put it, I think the proof is in the reading.
    Motor-Ed wrote: »

Looking at this from a teaching point of view I would always advise people to take a least one lesson with a driving instructor who can point out the best practice for the area, so that any local situation is explained. Look at the words used in your post! Very open to interruption.

Regards

Advertisement