Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent de Paul Volunteers

Options
  • 01-08-2009 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of volunteering but what exactly do they do? I know they help people but what exactly does it involve? They call to peoples houses don't they. My driving and finding places skills aren't really up to that, it would stress me out.

Do they require any office/admin type work done or menial jobs like box packing? I'd be very happy to spend a few hours doing things like that.

If I wanted to do something simple like donate a bag of groceries or some unwanted boxes of chocolates how would I do that? It's not like meals on wheels that you can just drop things into the kitchen they operate from.

I also have loads of spare cosmetics and glossy magazines lying around as I buy them regularly. Is it in any way appropiate to donate things like that? I know such things aren't essential but they would certainly cheer up somebody who's too short of cash to buy such things.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I don't know much about SvP but I know there's a SvP shop near Dundrum shopping - I'm sure you could drop your unwanted things in there. Other than I'd say email them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Ive done some work for Vincents in Phibsboro and Drogheda and it was amazing the donations that came in. I recently applied again but they said they were not looking for people as they had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You now need garda clearance certificate before they will hire you. this is because you will be dealing with vunerable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Yes thats a good point. Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I believe the SvdP don't let women call to houses on their own anyway so from that end you should be ok finding places.
    One of their big drives is church door collections and when you think about the Saturday evening plus 3/4 masses on Sunday morning they'd probably need a good few bodies for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement