Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a fantasy series

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

hey guys, first time in the sci fi sector so take it easy.
    Im looking for a new fantasy series to read, I finished kings Dark tower series last year and am in the middle of Feist's magician, but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I expected, can anyone recomend a fantasy series more similar to the DT???
    Much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well one of the strengths/weaknesses of the DT series is that it drew heavily on King's other bodies of work as well as other sources.

I'd tentatively point you to Tad William's Otherland series - it's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy and, like the DT, has the characters encounter different scenarios from the world or literature (e.g. a very twisted version of Oz, like in "Wizard and Glass"). It also has characters from "our world" in it, giving a link-in to Earth like the DT series had with Ed, 'ake, and Susannah. Really enjoyed it, although it doesn't have the post-Apocalyptic vibe that the Dark Tower had, set in a slowly-dying world. Still might be worth a punt and it's not in the same vein as "Magician" (which, as it stands, is an excellent book but quite different).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I haven't actually read the DT series, but going by what ixoy said about post apocalytic themes, you might like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

He has one of his books, Warbreaker, on his website for free as an electronic version if you want to see whether you like his style or not.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For a mix of post-apocalypsic and fantasy, there is Gemmell's "Jon Shannow" trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

Not a series, but everyone should read John Myers Myers, Silverlock, if you like inside referances, this is your book. Classic book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb is the finest writing of any kind. Assassins Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassins Quest. They open out into 6 more books in the Liveship trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy but read the first three first. You'll be so glad you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb is the finest writing of any kind. Assassins Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassins Quest. They open out into 6 more books in the Liveship trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy but read the first three first. You'll be so glad you did.

While I agree completely, Robin Hobb's books are nothing at all like the Dark Tower so not the best in relation to what the OP is looking for.

But they're still amazing books if you're looking for something different at some point OP :D

Advertisement