Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Rate Student Maintenance Grant?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knew what the income etc criteria for the special rate grant?

I'm pretty sure I qualify for the full grant and I've heard of this 'special' one and its like twice the rate of the 'full' one and I'll need all the money I need to get through college, esp if they reintroduce fees:mad:
    And does anyone know if you have to apply seperately for it? Or do they just check your income on the grant application and award you it if you qualify?
    And does anyone know from the time you send them the application, how long it takes to be processed and awarded? Because theres no way I'll be able to pay the services fee.

Also, you know the the student grant application has a list of stuff you should send with it at then end of the app., it says copies are not acceptable then it says a certified copy of a passport will do, is it necessary? and how do you get it? I have a passport, could I not just send that?

thanks.

sorry if this stuff has been asked before

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

raveni wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knew what the income etc criteria for the special rate grant?
    You can get more info on the special rate here. Your reckonable income must be below 22,308. And you must be in receipt of a social welfare payment.
    I'm pretty sure I qualify for the full grant and I've heard of this 'special' one and its like twice the rate of the 'full' one and I'll need all the money I need to get through college, esp if they reintroduce fees:mad:
    If you are entering this year there's a good chance you won't have to pay fees. But we'll have to wait and see.
    And does anyone know if you have to apply seperately for it? Or do they just check your income on the grant application and award you it if you qualify?
    Yeah, afaik if you are eligible you automatically get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

You can get more info on the special rate here. Your reckonable income must be below 22,308. And you must be in receipt of a social welfare payment.

If you are entering this year there's a good chance you won't have to pay fees. But we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, afaik if you are eligible you automatically get it.

Hey thanks very much! I checked that out it looks like I'd get it but does it have to be me in receipt of the social welfare payment? My da gets illness benefit but thats not on the list but it is a social welfare payment and I'm sending them a statement showing what he got last year, do you think that'd do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It doesn't have to be you getting it. It just has to be part of the reckonable income.

I'm not sure about the social welfare payment but that list seems pretty specific. Perhaps Illness Benefit is considered more of a temporary payment (as apposed to Disability Allowance) which might be why it's not on the list.

You should contact them and ask though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Hi All,
    Just wondering does anyone know if I would get this top up.
    I was employed last year but made redundant in december so Im applying for the grant on the basis of "a change in circumstances" as our reckonable income would have been above the limits last year. We are in receipt of social welfare at the moment and my dh received a social welfare payment last year. We will be living off the BTEA and the grant, if I get it, so the more we get the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicnac88

Hi Raveni
    Sorry I realise this was posted over a year ago but I was just curious as to whether you were approved for the special rate of maintenance as I am hoping to receive it this year also & my parents are on illness benefit. Is this classified as one of the required social welfare payments?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Hey nicnac88 I replied to you in pm, hope it helped:)

For anyone else curious, I didn't get the special rate maintenance grant, but got the normal full rate regardless at the end of the day the vec know what you're eligible for:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonver

My doctor has advised me to take Illness Benefit from work for a short period initially to overcome work related stress. I will have 2 dependant children commencing 3rd level education in September and I am not sure what I am entitled regarding financial support for 3rd level.

I am not sure if I should plod on at work to support my children in college. I am paid a very handsome salary which I am grateful for. Any advice would be much appreciated as to my entitlements if I go on Illness Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jonver wrote: »
    My doctor has advised me to take Illness Benefit from work for a short period initially to overcome work related stress. I will have 2 dependant children commencing 3rd level education in September and I am not sure what I am entitled regarding financial support for 3rd level.

I am not sure if I should plod on at work to support my children in college. I am paid a very handsome salary which I am grateful for. Any advice would be much appreciated as to my entitlements if I go on Illness Benefit.

If it is short term then it may not make much difference - its hard to say - however if it means there is a substantial loss in income and it is long term then they could possibly take account of this

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement