Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Prisoner 9 Minute Preview

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:28pm

Here we have it at last, our first proper look at the Prisoner. I'm really looking forward to this, the original show is a classic and this could very well follow suit. The cast is terrific and the talent involved are all impressive.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Doesn't inspire me much. It has none of the weird Welsh charm of the original village and the American accents really grate when pronouncing the old catchphrases. Besides, we have Lost now.

Doesn't inspire me much. It has none of the weird Welsh charm of the original village and the American accents really grate when pronouncing the old catchphrases. Besides, we have Lost now.

The Prisoner is in a completely different league to Lost, it's like comparing the Wire to CSI Miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay it looks very good and if you are not familair with the origional I suspect it will work a treat. I'd give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Looks good to me - looking forward to this. Something a bit different.

The Prisoner is in a completely different league to Lost, it's like comparing the Wire to CSI Miami.

This isn't really The Prisoner though, just like Payne wasn't really Fawlty Towers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's less of a promo and more of an entire run through of the plot of the series. It's full of huge spoilers, it only stops short of giving away the ending.

If you haven't seen The Prisoner before, for the love of god don't watch that video up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'm looking forward to it, but on the other hand really worried about it... the original in my mind is one of those shows that are impossible to remake. Still, it could be good in itself if I can watch it without trying to compare it to the classic show...

This isn't really The Prisoner though, just like Payne wasn't really Fawlty Towers.

It's the Prisoner updated to an American setting. Were it exactly the same as the origianal then I would have no interest in it. The the American Office, the pilot is the weakest episode of it and that's because it's basically the same as teh original. Once the show was allowed to go down it's own route it turned into a fantastic show which actually bettered the original in many ways.
    That's less of a promo and more of an entire run through of the plot of the series. It's full of huge spoilers, it only stops short of giving away the ending.

If you haven't seen The Prisoner before, for the love of god don't watch that video up there!

Everyone is familiar with the Prisoner at this stage. So many jokes have been made about it in popular culture that like the Crying Game no one will be surprised when watching it. Which is a shame as it really is a fantastic story and one best watched knowing as little as possible beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ahhh. Simpsons episode flashbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Everyone is familiar with the Prisoner at this stage.

I only saw it for the first time last year! And I knew nothing about it beforehand. :P

• Advertisement

I only saw it for the first time last year! And I knew nothing about it beforehand. :P

Did you though? You're sure you haven't seen it once a year, every year and haven't mysteriously forgotten it?
    Are you left or right handed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 obladee

I Fear this could be crap. McGoohan is obviously a hard act to follow although i'm sure Mckellan will do a good job as No 2.( Seems they wont be replacing the No 2s as we go, but we'll see).
    Plus Port Merrion Vs bland CGI village does not auger well

Be Seeing You.:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Meh, I posted this four days previously on the Sci-Fi forum - nobody seems to have read it :)

I think it looks pretty decent - I think they're go for a "re-imagining" rather than a remake. The original show wouldn't play now as it's just too damned weird and psychedelic. The finale makes 'Lost' look crystal clear as it took bizarreness and ambiguity to new levels.
    I think it'll be important to have a sort of weird element to keep it off balance, rather than just asking questions (except that one most important question - "Who is Number One?") but not have an entire episode set in a fake class (for example).
    The toughest act will be trying to emulate McGoohan - we shouldn't know very much about the Prisoner and I don't want loads of back-story about his previous life - only hints and inferences please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yes. That. Take note.

I don't see Portmeirion anywhere. The rumours of the village being filmed in Namibia are true then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I'm still annoyed that rumoured film version with Chris Nolan never materialised, but this looks decent enough, as far as remakes go.

Advertisement