Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Claim Q.

Options
  • 31-07-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

A guy insured bumped into my car and its insurance is now saying I collided with their insured, therefore denying liability. I am looking for a sollicitor in Dublin who can help me, any clues?

Many thanks.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Probably get the best advice in the Motors forum

dudara

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you informed your insurance company? They are the first port of call.
    Did you inform the gardai of the incident?
    Was it a "bump" or a "collision"?

Also, I'm goting to change the title of this thread as its misleading - "Allianz not paying their liabilities" suggests that they are reneging on theirt duties whereas you have not given us any information to show that they are liable for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You need to post up clearly and accurately what happened/where etc.

What is the area and type of damage on your car?

Were there any witnesses to the collision or potentially any CCTV (i.e. collision in a public car park - need to act quick as will be over-recorded swiftly).

Allianz will not just deny a claim, they must have been given conflicting information to your own. Contrary to popular belief it is not in the interest of Insurers (with 1 exception) to simply deny responsibility and see what happens - this requires additional administration, most will settle all claims for which they are responsible and focus attention of fighting cases which can be won.

If you go to a Lawyer in the 1st instance they may well take your case but if it responsibility is proven against you then you could end up with a fee from the Lawyer, so think carefully before you proceed.

Finally, if Allianz state you are liable then there must be a counter claim, make sure you have informed your own insurance company of the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Davidlallement

kbannon wrote: »
    Have you informed your insurance company? They are the first port of call.
    Did you inform the gardai of the incident?
    Was it a "bump" or a "collision"?

It was just a minor collision during a parking manoeuver, the Gardai did not need to intervene as there is no personal injury.

I have made the claim to my insurance who went after the other insurance, after hey denied liability, my insurance company asked me to get a sollicitor.

Damages to my car look small but I have been quoted over 1500 Euros for repair.

As someone been in this situation? can you recommend a sollicitor?

regards

David.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask if the gardai attended the scene - i asked if you reported it to the gardai.
    From what I read in your post, your insurance company have ditched you - is this correct?

Lastly, regardless of right or wrong, how much is the claim for and are you better off paying it as dragging solicitors into it will cost you anyhow?

Also, is your username your real name - be careful what you post if you do go towards a court appearance as you don't want to prejudice your own case.

kbannon wrote: »
    I didn't ask if the gardai attended the scene - i asked if you reported it to the gardai.
    From what I read in your post, your insurance company have ditched you - is this correct?

Lastly, regardless of right or wrong, how much is the claim for and are you better off paying it as dragging solicitors into it will cost you anyhow?

The situation , I was parallel parking on my right side when the other vehicle forced his way forward on my left and clipped the very left of my front bumper.

Well, I am thinking as well that my company might have let me down, as they told I have a case, however, they do not offer any legal support or will not give me a sollicitor's name to go to. ..... Do insurance companies provide this type service in general?

Damage to my car is over 1500 Euros, the other person has no scratches.

any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

however, they do not offer any legal support or will not give me a sollicitor's name to go to. ..... Do insurance companies provide this type service in general?

Not to my knowledge. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Your insurance company have much more experience in this and it is not in their interest to tell you that you have no case if you don't.

Based upon what you have said and presuming everything being 100% accurate and accepted this would normally be considered as each party bear own costs situation - both vehicles are making a manoeuvre, you were responsible to maintain a look out all round your car and should have seen other vehicle moving forwards. As annoying/rude as it was of them you should have just waited for them to pass, by continuing your manoeuvre your front end continued to swing out and ultimately this is what caused the vehicles to impact.

No Insurer will reccomend a Solicitor, if they failed to perform you will immediately blame them for the selection and seek recompense from the insurer!

If you insist on going legal, hit the Golden Pages there are plenty of Ambulance Chasers will take your money - consultation is for free and one would hope for an honest view - if not, then you will end up with a bill, and it could be significant!

If you took out your policy via a broker then it is probable they offered you a policy to cover 'uninsured loss claims' - such a policy provides free representation (including legal if necessary and appropriate) in recovering your own losses in situations such as this - if you insured directly with an insurer then you will not have this.

Given the circumstances, I 100% support the view of your Insurer, you can argue this as long as you want, and into court but I doubt you will succeed. As I keep saying, you will only increase your own cost.

By the way (and answer this honestly, even if just to yourself) would you accept responsibility if the roles were reversed or would you say that the other car turned into you as you passed it?

• Advertisement

thebiglad wrote: »
    Your insurance company have much more experience in this and it is not in their interest to tell you that you have no case if you don't.

Based upon what you have said and presuming everything being 100% accurate and accepted this would normally be considered as each party bear own costs situation - both vehicles are making a manoeuvre, you were responsible to maintain a look out all round your car and should have seen other vehicle moving forwards. As annoying/rude as it was of them you should have just waited for them to pass, by continuing your manoeuvre your front end continued to swing out and ultimately this is what caused the vehicles to impact.

No Insurer will reccomend a Solicitor, if they failed to perform you will immediately blame them for the selection and seek recompense from the insurer!

If you insist on going legal, hit the Golden Pages there are plenty of Ambulance Chasers will take your money - consultation is for free and one would hope for an honest view - if not, then you will end up with a bill, and it could be significant!

If you took out your policy via a broker then it is probable they offered you a policy to cover 'uninsured loss claims' - such a policy provides free representation (including legal if necessary and appropriate) in recovering your own losses in situations such as this - if you insured directly with an insurer then you will not have this.

Given the circumstances, I 100% support the view of your Insurer, you can argue this as long as you want, and into court but I doubt you will succeed. As I keep saying, you will only increase your own cost.

By the way (and answer this honestly, even if just to yourself) would you accept responsibility if the roles were reversed or would you say that the other car turned into you as you passed it?

It was a narrow one way street and the vehicle that passed by forced his way thorugh . I could not move as I was fully engaged in my manouver, at a 45 degree angle trying to finish to park. My rear tire was against the sidewalk, so I had nowhere to go and could not stop the guy from moving forward and clipping the fron of my car. Even If I had looked all around me he was the one moving.

My insurance tells me that I have a case, I kinda trust them.

Advertisement